Re: [Herpetology Central] Re: Anybody field herping?

  • Sawyer Collins
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2007
      Ive been herping out here in California quite a bit already this year. In the Mojave Desert it's certainly warming up, and I've found a few Mojave Rattlesnake babies, as well as alot of gopher snakes. But as early as January this year, I found a ringneck snake and a sharp-tailed snake underneath logs that were still frosted over from the cold night. I thought that was very early.

      d156156156 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I actually went for a little walk just yesterday and saw a watersnake
      and more surprisingly a queensnake. Of course some amphibians are
      breeding now, mostly spring peepers and toads. I guess its just the
      contrast, but it really seems odd to me that things would be out
      earlier with how much colder this winter was.

      Ive only been around Indiana for a couple years though, so I don't
      have much of a perspective on how early or late things are.

    • davetoyoko
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2007
        How nice for someone from Indiana to respond so quickly! Thank You....

        The winter might have been colder but March has been warmer than
        normal.

        What a great find the Regina septemvittata was. Could you possibly
        relate the? Location, time of day, water source, etc.? A Regina
        septemvittata is sorta becoming uncommon in Indiana and I like to keep
        records of this sightings. I live in Vigo county by the way and it is
        good to hear from a fellow Hoosier.

        Dave
      • Doug
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
          I went herping today on a sunny spring day, perfect conditions.
          Here's the list:
          1. Crotals Viridis(Rattlesnake) in coitus! I have never seen this in
          the wild despite my 35+ years of herping
          2. Thamnophis Siritalis (Garter Snake)(2) in hand
          3. Emmy marmorata (Western Pond turtle)(numerous sightings around 2
          ponds) none in the hand this time
          4. Rana Castiebieana(Bullfrog) , the biggest one i've ever seen. he
          musta weighed a pound or more
          5. Numerous Scelops, (Blue bellies)
          6. 1 Gilbert's skink in mating phase(red face and tail)

          a great day of herping
        • davetoyoko
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
            Sounds like it was a great day for sure Doug!

            Quite a fine list. But California is like that isn't it?

            I lived in Pomona for about three years ago, some number of years ago
            and I really enjoyed the herping excursions.

            Thank you for responding and lets keep in touch as we go out.

            Dave
          • davetoyoko
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
              You and Doug are the lucky ones to be in California and got to go out
              early. What a find in January! Here in Indiana we had snow. That is
              interesting that the log was frosted. Did you happen to notice the
              temperature of the ground under? Did the snakes appear to be sluggish
              or normal?

              Thank you for responding Sawyer and i look forward to your further
              posts.

              Dave
            • Sawyer Collins
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
                Well it was during a day hike in the woods just north of Santa Cruz where I found these two snakes. At night the ground freezes and when the sun comes out in the day, it can't shine under the logs, and so there's still ice and frost under the logs and even the leaves. The Sharp-Tailed snake was all curled up upside-down, sleeping basically, so definitely sluggish behavior, but the ringneck was frantic to escape. It was a baby, only 7" long.
                I reviewed my field guide to see if these january finds were considered early, and the guide had their activity logged as mid March, so it was quite early and cold for these snakes to be abroad.
                I might also add that in late November last year, my friend and I didnt want to accept it that herp season was ending, so we hiked around the Pacific coastline, just south of San Francisco and found plenty of Red-Sided Garters and even the highly endangered San Francisco Garter snake. I guess there's a higher tolerance for cold weather among these coastal region snakes.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Thank you Sawyer

                  What a great report of your observations during this trip.

                  Please report any more outings you go on as I am truly interested in
                  hearing all reports.

                  Dave
                • wehrmacht383@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Ill be going out field herping very soon, possibly next weekend. A friend told me he knows a spot in WI that has a lot of fox snakes which iv never seen before. Ill be sure to report my findings. Hoping to catch a bull snake or black rat snake.