frog/toad mix and injured tree frog

  • marlene
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      The post reply about not mixing seemed right to my readings. I am new. I have 2 green tree frogs and a firebelly. You have to change the water more often with a firebelly due to toxins that can affect the others.

      Also, a question- does the firebelly need another firebelly fried? Mine slimbs in the plants and over thetop of the tree frogs on the sides but he is much more active. Should I get another one? These 3 were in a tank together for some time before I got them.

      I am still having trouble with the tree frog with the injured mouth. (photo: Gimlet9 in photo archives). I've tried peroxide and neosporin. I have force fed it twice. I fear i am injuring it further. It seems to be gasping for air more when I try. His coloring on his back seems darker now too. I have no one in the area. I appreciate any help. I separated him overnight and he may have eaten 1 very small cricket but I am not certain. Those wee ones seem to have a million ways to escape!

      Thanks again. Marlene

    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        Fire bellied toads do great in small colonies but please please please
        don't mix them with other species. You are potentially poisoning the
        other frogs for the sake of space.

        As for your poorly frog, separate him and keep him in a sterile
        environment where you can keep an eye on him. Don't force feed him as
        you could harm him further. Make sure his temperature and humidity are
        correct and keep him in a quiet and dark room. Only put 1 or 2 crix in
        there at a time and make sure they are dusted properly etc. Your best
        bet is to take him to the vet and see what he can do.