New Group

  • Dnorton73@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2005
      A new group has been created for New York residents that oppose the new law
      banning ownership of exotic animals, including exotic cats and exotic/domestic
      hybrids (as well as primates, certian reptiles, coyotes, wolves, foxes, etc).
      Please join. We are using this group to develop a list of contacts for
      people who oppose the ban. You don't need to own any animals, you just need to
      live in New York. We will be circulating information, pettitions, letters, etc
      in a coordinated effort to amend or repeal this law. We feel that this law
      affects the right of all new yorkers to keep and do what they want within the
      privacy of their own homes, and also has implications for future legislation,
      such as bans on certian dog breeds, etc. It is important for every New Yorker to
      get involved. We are willing to share info, techniques, strategies, etc with
      residents of other states who are facing similar bans. Please help us. The
      link is below.

      Dan

    • ophiophthalmos
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2005
        I don't want to go on a tirade, but the people behind this stuff are
        a pox on the landscape. Pick a hobby or interest - any interest,
        and there is somebody out there who does something stupid like that
        guy who kept an adult tiger and a full grown crocodile in his
        apartment. Then immediately, the politicians and attorneys swoop in
        like vultures, smelling fresh meat and get these idiotic laws passed.

        Years ago, like most jurisdictions and the Federal government, New
        Jersey didn't consider muzzle-loading firearms weapons and you
        didn't need a permit to buy one. Then a nutjob in south Jersey shot
        and killed somebody with a cap and ball Civil War revolver. Now
        anybody in New Jersey who wants to buy a flintlock rifle needs to go
        through the same permitting procedure as somebody who is buying a
        semi-automatic firearm. There are also cases of people getting up
        in arms over private ownership of remote controlled model airplanes.
        Some towns have passed laws banning the sale of spray paint because
        of grafitti vandals, etc., etc.

        Didn't Guliani declare the ferret, an animal which has been
        domesticated since at least ancient Roman times as a "wild animal"
        and forbid their ownership there?

        If you get a chance, pick up a copy of "You Belong in a Zoo" by my
        ex-boss Peter Brazaitis. He was head keeper at the Reptile House in
        the Bronx Zoo and also Director of the Central Park Zoo when the New
        York Zoological Society took it over. He showed me his desk when I
        started working there years ago. It belonged to Raymond L. Ditmars
        when he was the first Curator of Reptiles at the Bronx Zoo. The
        book has some interesting stories about the kind of nutcases who
        keep venomous reptiles inappropriately. Unfortunately Mr. Brazitis
        appears to have an elitist view of average people keeping exotic
        herps also. Its a great story and an interesting book about an
        intereting guy - get it.