G'morning everyone

  • Ethan Kincaid
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 8:32 PM
      Well, i am new to your vast group of happy herpers. The main reason i
      joined is because i have a frog problem.

      I have a female american bullfrog that is about 8 months old, about 4-
      5" from head to tail. Last sunday i noticed that here eyes were
      cloudy (a bacterial infection of course). The bacterial infection is
      not a problem, like i said that happened last week and i've been
      water changing the terrarium nightly with AquaPlus (combonation
      dechlorinater/stresscoat) and adding the proper doasage of EM
      (erythromucin) tablets. The infection is almost all gone, but there's
      another problem that came from this, the infection was making it so
      that she couldn't see right, if at all. With no sense of sight, she
      can't find/see/catch her food. She's very starved right now, and i
      was wondering if there is anything i can be doing to feed her? Like i
      said, the infection is almost gone and you can make her eyes quite
      clearly.

      Problem the second: I just recently (June 1st) turned my 10gallon
      terrarium into a 15 gallon terrarium. Naturally the fish, plants, and
      frog had to be contained somewhere for the time that the new tank was
      being set up. The fish were kept in a bucket, and the frog was kept
      in a 2gallon 'small pet pals' containter. Because of the stress
      already brought upon by the bacterial infection, the move from a
      large environment to a much smaller environment was a bit of a shock
      (plus, because it is a bullfrog, any sudden change in anything
      whatsoever will trigger them to hop around like mad) to her. So she
      bounded about quite a bit while she was in there. Long story short, i
      think she managed to dive face first into someone at one point or
      another, so her head is tilted on an angle, and i'm assuming she
      fractured her neck... does anyone know what i can do for this?

      Also, as a final observation, i noticed before i took her out of the
      2gal that one of her eyes was rolled upwards, yet the other was fine.
      Now as i didn't take a good look at her before i removed her from the
      10g, this might have been something that was already there, but i
      figured that all observations would be helpful

      *takes a breath* Wooh.. well.. i talk alot, but i do because i love
      my frog and need to get every detail down to help her.

      Thanking anyone in advance who responds to this with help
      ~Ken
    • ferret_corner
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4 8:18 AM
        --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, "Ethan Kincaid"
        <barrettw14@h...> wrote:
        but there's
        > another problem that came from this, the infection was making it so
        > that she couldn't see right, if at all. With no sense of sight, she
        > can't find/see/catch her food. She's very starved right now, and i
        > was wondering if there is anything i can be doing to feed her?

        Try dangling a long earth worm just in front of her nose, she will
        most likely snap at it. We feed our frogs like this, just cause its
        fun to see if someone is going to get their finger bitten. (my kids
        like doing this!)

        > Problem the second: > think she managed to dive face first into
        someone at one point or
        > another, so her head is tilted on an angle, and i'm assuming she
        > fractured her neck... does anyone know what i can do for this?

        If her neck is really fractured, I don't think anything short of
        surgery is going to help her. Most like its compressed or out of
        alignment. But read my reply below....

        > Also, as a final observation, i noticed before i took her out of
        the
        > 2gal that one of her eyes was rolled upwards, yet the other was
        fine.

        Well if she really did smash into something really hard, she might
        have knocked herself silly. She might have damaged her eye. It
        might go back the way it was meant to and it might not. I bought a
        brain damaged eel once (OH LORD!) the people at the petstore said it
        was an enviromental problem because it was a salt water eel in
        freshwater - duh - so I bought it to save it, well the eel was
        never "right" it slept upside down and had a heck of time chasing its
        food down - I never could get it to eat dead/frozen stuff.

        Anyway, my thinking is that if she banged her head really hard it
        would lead to all of those problems. Only time will tell, unless you
        want to take her to a vet.

        > Thanking anyone in advance who responds to this with help
        > ~Ken

        Ken you are really welcome. I hope your frog heals up and live a
        long froggy life!
        Sharon
      • Ethan Kincaid
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10 11:09 AM
          (Sorry it took so long for me to respond)
          Thanks sharon.

          My frog's been eating again, although not while i'm watching ;).
          She's her old largish self again, but she still doesn't react to alot
          of site based things (like waving a hand infront of her in which
          before she would atleast cringe). I dunno, the bacterial infection is
          all gone, her eye is normal again, and her neck is all fine and
          proper.

          On another topic, i just rescently had t'poles transform into
          frogs :). Their not from the same frog, i bought them from my store a
          week or too ago. They have bullfrog-lik markings, but they have spots
          where there should be no spots, and they're also a little tan sort of
          coloured, so i'm thinking leopard frogs, but i supose time will
          tell ;).
        • ferret_corner
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11 3:49 PM
            Hey that is great news! I am really happy for you!

            I hope the rest of her improves quickly!
            Sharon