finding garter snakes

  • snakeman27609
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 1:53 PM
      I live in Oregon and the past 2 days my dog has found garter
      snakes. While it could be that birds that are just droping the
      snakes, I think that the snakes have a den in our yard. I want to
      find the den(if there is one) so I can keep the dog away. I was just
      wondering if there was some tips as to where to look for the den.

      Thanks
    • ferret_corner
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 7:34 AM
        --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, snakeman27609
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I live in Oregon and the past 2 days my dog has found garter
        > snakes. While it could be that birds that are just droping the
        > snakes, I think that the snakes have a den in our yard. I want to
        > find the den(if there is one) so I can keep the dog away. I was
        just
        > wondering if there was some tips as to where to look for the den.
        >
        > Thanks

        Honestly, you might want to start near your house.

        If your house is raised, or if you have a raised deck, under your
        house is going to be the warmest place to winter over for them.

        Other than that I'm no help! Thats juts a little tidbit I found out
        when we found a rattler crawling out of a hole under my external
        drier vent!!! Also our house doesn't sit on the ground. The pest
        guy told me this is normal for snakes so if I'm wrong its his fault!
        LOL!

        Sharon
      • Billie
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5 12:12 AM

          I too live in Oregon. You probably just have some nice bugs the snakes are interested in. It has been very warm here, and garter snakes are coming out of hibernation, Looking for slugs, worms, small frogs, etc. It would be nearly impossible to find a gartersnake den this late into spring.

          If you found 2 snakes that are about same size, same place, they may have been looking for each other....trying to breed.. Just relocate to nice safe place, and all should be ok.. If you have problems getting rid of them, contact the Oregon Herp Society and someone might be able to come get them..

          Hope this helps,

          Harpy

          May the bluebird of happiness fly up your nose.