help my frog

  • lydiadamnitall
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      I have an african dwarf frog in my aquarium with a problem. The fish
      have ich, and now the frog is showing signs of distress. There are
      what looks like fuzzy mold or something on his back legs, and where
      the fuzz is (it looks similarly to when they shed skin, but
      different)- it is also looking somewhat inflamed/red. One leg has
      the same sort of thing appearing on his foot now as well, and he
      seems to have a sort of froggy limp- he's not using the real bad leg
      a whole lot. Also, since this has appeared, he just kind of floats
      around near the top of the water. I'm treating the fish for ich with
      quickcure, aquarium salt, and a slight rise in temperature. I have
      yet to find anything on the internet about how ich affects these
      frogs, so if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
    • lydiadamnitall
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        Nevermind, my frog just passed away.

        --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, "lydiadamnitall"
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          ok, Just kidding, sorry, I'm new to the whole frog adventure. He IS
          alive, just moving very slowly and very minimally, please help.

          <lydiadamnitall@y...> wrote:
          > Nevermind, my frog just passed away.
          >

          > --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, "lydiadamnitall"
          > <lydiadamnitall@y...> wrote:
          > > I have an african dwarf frog in my aquarium with a problem. The
          > fish
          > > have ich, and now the frog is showing signs of distress. There
          are
          > > what looks like fuzzy mold or something on his back legs, and
          where
          > > the fuzz is (it looks similarly to when they shed skin, but
          > > different)- it is also looking somewhat inflamed/red. One leg
          has
          > > the same sort of thing appearing on his foot now as well, and he
          > > seems to have a sort of froggy limp- he's not using the real bad
          > leg
          > > a whole lot. Also, since this has appeared, he just kind of
          floats
          > > around near the top of the water. I'm treating the fish for ich
          > with
          > > quickcure, aquarium salt, and a slight rise in temperature. I
          have
          > > yet to find anything on the internet about how ich affects these
          > > frogs, so if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
        • elainecdr
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2003
            Have you tried calling a vet? I know this sounds like the obvious
            but sometimes when in distress we forget. Vets that treat 'exotic'
            pets are few and far between so I would call your local pet store
            (do not call a chain store like petco etc... they probably will not
            know what good vets are in the area) and ask them, who are a few
            good vets in the area for frogs, reptiles, etc.
            This sounds like a problem that needs serious attention asap, and a
            call never hurts. :)
            Good luck.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2003
              Yes I did, actually. I called an exotic pets vet who told me it
              sounded like a bacterial infection and when I told her I had only had
              him for 16 days, she said it sounds like he'd had it when I bought
              him. She also said that the only h elp she could think of was
              injectible antibiotics becasue he's so small and the stress of that
              alone would probably kill him. She also pointed out that with small
              aquatic frogs they tend to not do too hot with medication anyway. He
              ended up for real dying last night, to be sure I waited to do
              anything till this morning, but there he was very stiff. By the way,
              my family thought it was a riot that I was spending thirty bucks for
              a vet on a two dollar frog. In anycase, once my other fish get
              better I plant on trying the frog adventure once again if anyone has
              any suggestions or tips. Thanks

              --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, elainecdr <no_reply@y...>