Calming a snake

  • molsze
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2002
      I recently got a young grey/black rat snake hybrid (hatched in
      August) and he's pretty good about being held, he freezes for a
      minute or to but then starts trying to explore my arm, but he's very
      nervous about actually being picked up. He does the tail-vibrating
      thing whenever I try to pick him up. My other snake was held a lot
      more when she was younger so she didn't have this behavior when I got
      her. I was wondering how much and how often should I be holding him
      so he calms down? I don't want to hold him too much and stress him
      out but I do want him to relax and get used to people.
    • Barney
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2002
        In my experience with reptiles, and I have dealt with quite a few,
        especially troubled snakes, I have noticed that aditude isn't just
        spacific to species, indiviuals have their own ideas on what kind of
        aditude they will have. Of course there are things that will
        influence this sometiems, but sometimes certian snakes just tend to
        be more jittery than others. In your case I would just suggest
        handling the snake for as long as it feels comfortable each day.
        When you reach into the cage to get it do so very slowly and try to
        be as little of a threat as possible. After a few weeks you should
        notice a difference in attitude and he should be alot easier to pick
        up. It is a very common thing for almost any animal to be a bit
        jumpy when something invades their living space. Working with it on a
        daily basis should show it that you don't pose a threat and that it's
        all ok. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me at
        bannor0@... and I would be happy to help in any way I can.
        Good luck and happy herping.
        TTFN
        Barney