Re: Photo post

  • dorotaoffrogland
    Message 1 of 3013 , Nov 1, 1999
      This does tend to happen...though it's usually
      not someone trying to be a jerk, just someone who
      likes the picture and doesn't think about what it means
      to grab the digitized format.<br>(I can't tell you
      how many sites I've found with my drawings and images
      posted all over them without any credit...)<br>There are
      some things you can do to protect yourself, like
      watermarking your images, <br>or writing copyright information
      directly into it when you post them, <br>or you can post
      them to password protected sites like GatherRound.com
      and other photo sharing sites of this sort where you
      have full control or knowledge of who you allow to see
      the pictures etc. <br>It all depends on how much this
      matters to you... <br><br>Some folks get really uptight
      about it and do searches constantly to find their
      images being used without permission. <br>Generally, I
      find that folks that steal my images are just kids who
      simply "don't know any better"...so I personally tend
      not to get super uptight about it unless they're
      selling the pictures or in some way benefiting
      financially, even if it bums me out. <br><br>Then again, it's
      also a question of why your posting the picture in the
      first place...<br><br>I post to *share*, and want
      credit and a link simply because I spent many hours
      working on my site and would rather folks get to come see
      what other things I've done too.<br><br>You gotta
      figure its worse for professional photographers who make
      a living off of selling license rights to their
      images, though even these often show up scanned in on
      various websites. (I spent 2 years trying to find a
      photograph of a glass frog next to it's eggs to use in my
      WEIRD FROG FACTS section [I wanted to illustrate an
      example of camouflage]...while searching, I found many
      suitable pictures already posted "illegally" on the web or
      in various Usenet newsgroups--These usually scanned
      in from books, postcards, who knows where.... So, by
      doing a LOT of searching on these images, I managed to
      track down the original photographers or copyright
      owners, only to find that none were willing to share
      rights to show a picture without paying them incredibly
      high fees. [the minimum I had found was something like
      150$, and I think that was like, per month!....despite
      the fact that all credits are given and the site is a
      teaching tool---profit free. sigh... But just think...if I
      HADN'T been that scrupulous.....] Anyways, that was the
      first I realized how these photos (especially at these
      prices!) might be paying someone's RENT! <br>In these
      cases, the damage is much more than being annoyed at
      seeing your work online without your name...)<br><br>Of
      course...there will always be someone, somewhere who copies it
      no matter what you do (look at the great volumes of
      stuff scanned from books all over the net...these are
      lifted right out of books so someone had to take the
      book, lay it on a scanner and actually do a bit of work
      to get it into their webpage. <br>Again though,
      these are, more often than not, done out of ignorance,
      this on my site, with copyright info
      links...<br><a href=http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/help/copyright.html target=new>http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/help/copyright.html</a>
    • cali_car
      Message 3013 of 3013 , Mar 4, 2002
        I think moving it to a warmer room will do it
        some good. I feed mine a little daily, can't really
        help it since they have fishie buddies. If you are
        going to do worms, you might want to cut down to half a
        cube every other day. One cube can be a lot for little
        tummies. <br> They most certainly know who feeds them.
        Heck I even have a puffer fish that stares at me from
        his tank, by my couch, if I haven't fed him. <br> I
        think you are on the right track and you should do
        fine. Let me know if anything weird starts happening.

        From sami