PDS Magician, XMIT Manager, and XMIT370

  • mfnoel
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2013
      I recently found myself wanting a tool to expand XMI (aka XMIT) files on my windows PC. Have been using "XMIT Manager" for a while, but it occasionally barfs on files I generate using XMIT370 in Turnkey MVS based systems. Since these same files seem to expand OK on zOS systems (as well as with XMIT370 itself) I assumed the problem was with "XMIT Manager". After a quick web search I found "PDS Magician" on the CBT site. It's a windows app so I downloaded and tried it. Failed immediately. But I noticed source was available so downloaded that. It's VB6 (Visual Basic version 6), and I don't have that tool, but the code looked alot like VBA (Visual Basic for Applications, the macro language for the MS Office suite), which I do have. So I loaded it into Excel and began playing. One advantage of VBA is it's interpreted and has good source level debugging, so inside a day I had "PDS Magician" working (as well as the VB6 version). Several days later (actually pretty full days) I had found and fixed some of the bugs, even some that "PDS Magician" shared with "XMIT Manager"!
      I proceeded to add recursive extraction of embedded XMI files and a couple other things on my personal wish list, and it seems to be pretty stable.
      So I'm posting a copy in the FILES area of the KICKS forum tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/kicksfortso for anyone interested.
      I'm sort of looking for the authors of "XMIT Manager", "PDS Magician", and "XMIT370" to so if they can shed any light on the XMIT370 "issues", to wit:
      - should XMIT370 silently create output from an empty pds?
      - should XMIT370 generate a zero length netdata record (at EOF position, sometimes)?
      The latter being the one that actually got me here...