Beginners experiences ...

  • tomhall.teepee
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10 1:18 AM
      Hi - just thought I'd share my experiences ...

      I had already installed a Turnkey3 system ok, and then trashed it and did a sysgen ok - but I couldn't find any Turnkey4 stuff, and I was stuck on what to do/where to go next

      It took me about a week to find the "_TK3herc_links" in the 380 group

      I then tried the TK3qstart batch file, and after a few attempts, managed to get a system up & running - yippee !

      I did encounter a couple of problems:

      1) for some reason TK3qstart wouldn't download the "mvs380-1_0-shadow" file (so I downloaded it manually, then ran TK3qstart again)

      2) I had to make the following modifications to the "set_tstamp" script (it was generating an invalid filename containing a "\")

      set yyyy=%date:~06,4%
      set mm=%date:~03,2%
      set dd=%date:~00,2%

      -Tom
    • ScottC
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10 9:07 AM
        Hi Tom,

        tk3qstart was kind of abandoned (tremendous amount of testing to get it right, and only works for Windows users) in favor of the more generally accepted download/replace method.

        Scott

        --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "tomhall.teepee" <tomhall.teepee@...> wrote:

        > Hi - just thought I'd share my experiences ...
        >
        > I had already installed a Turnkey3 system ok, and then trashed it and did a sysgen ok - but I couldn't find any Turnkey4 stuff, and I was stuck on what to do/where to go next
        >
        > It took me about a week to find the "_TK3herc_links" in the 380 group
        >
        > I then tried the TK3qstart batch file, and after a few attempts, managed to get a system up & running - yippee !
        >
        > I did encounter a couple of problems:
        >
        > 1) for some reason TK3qstart wouldn't download the "mvs380-1_0-shadow" file (so I downloaded it manually, then ran TK3qstart again)
        >
        > 2) I had to make the following modifications to the "set_tstamp" script (it was generating an invalid filename containing a "\")
        >
        > set yyyy=%date:~06,4%
        > set mm=%date:~03,2%
        > set dd=%date:~00,2%
        >
        > -Tom

      • ScottC
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10 9:49 AM
          --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "tomhall.teepee" <tomhall.teepee@...> wrote:

          > 2) I had to make the following modifications to the "set_tstamp" script (it was generating an invalid filename containing a "\")
          >
          > set yyyy=%date:~06,4%
          > set mm=%date:~03,2%
          > set dd=%date:~00,2%

          This issue was discussed over many posts, in this group as well as possibly H390-MVS and hercules-390. I believe the main problem stemmed from each person's local settings controlling the value returned by %date%. So, here is the final resolution, almost as our outspoken member, somitcw, proposed:

          ---------------------------------
          @echo off

          :: Set Timestamp variable, TStamp
          ::
          :: call %~sdp0set_TStamp.bat
          ::
          :: Change TIME spaces to zeroes to use in a file name
          :: Get date and append time
          :: Change slashes to dashes to use in a file name
          :: Remove colons to use variable in a file name
          :: :: Change colons to periods to use in a file name
          :: Change spaces to dashes to use in a file name
          :: Remove periods to use variable in a file name
          SET TStamp=%TIME: =0%
          SET TStamp=%DATE%_%TStamp%
          SET TStamp=%TStamp:/=-%
          SET TStamp=%TStamp::=%
          :: SET TStamp=%TStamp::=.%
          SET TStamp=%TStamp: =-%
          SET TStamp=%TStamp:.=%

          goto :eof
          ---------------------------------

          So, instead of trying to figure out where the mm, dd, yyyy are within %date%, we just throw in the towel and use it as is, but make character substitutions, especially to eliminate the "/" from being retained.

          Scott
        • Mike Schwab
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10 9:54 AM
            Which portions are which fields are dependent on your PC regional /
            date settings.
            Europe yyyy-mm-dd, USA mm/dd/yy, etc.

            --
            Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10 10:04 AM
              Europe and Australia use dd/mm/yy.

              China (and the ISO format) is yyyy-mm-dd

              I use ISO format almost exclusively because I am
              "internationalized".

              BFN. Paul.