Re: unl2load.bat

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
      --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "ScottC" <sccosel@...> wrote:

      > > So first of all I extracted the file from HET
      > > tape, using hetget.
      >
      > Ok, so then I did:
      >
      > C:\Hercules>hetget gcic.aws gcic.bin 1
      > Hercules HET extract files program Version 3.07
      > (c)Copyright 1999-2010 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
      > File Info:
      > DSN=CIC.LOAD.LIB.TAPE
      > DCB Attributes used:
      > RECFM=V LRECL=18448 BLKSIZE=18452
      >
      > > That gave me the IEBCOPY unload file, as variable
      > > length (RDW format).

      No, that gave you the default behaviour of hetget
      (ie before I touched it), which is to include BDW
      and RDW. Add the "-b" option and you will get what
      I consider to be sensible defaults, which in this
      case is an RDW file (ie BDW will be stripped).

      BFN. Paul.
    • ScottC
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
        --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "kerravon86" <kerravon86@...> wrote:
        > --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "ScottC" <sccosel@> wrote:
        > >
        > > C:\Hercules>hetget gcic.aws gcic.bin 1
        > > Hercules HET extract files program Version 3.07
        > > (c)Copyright 1999-2010 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
        > > File Info:
        > > DSN=CIC.LOAD.LIB.TAPE
        > > DCB Attributes used:
        > > RECFM=V LRECL=18448 BLKSIZE=18452
        > >
        > > > That gave me the IEBCOPY unload file, as variable
        > > > length (RDW format).
        >
        > No, that gave you the default behaviour of hetget
        > (ie before I touched it), which is to include BDW
        > and RDW. Add the "-b" option and you will get what
        > I consider to be sensible defaults, which in this
        > case is an RDW file (ie BDW will be stripped).

        Ok, that fixed it. But to compound the problem, HERC01.TEST.LOADLIB is allocated like a data PDS (FB 80). I noticed a few other HERC0* datasets are allocated wrong, and there are uncataloged datasets on MVSCAT and/or PUB000. I will research further and correct this in MVS380 v1.2.

        New problem in next note...
      • somitcw
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
          "ScottC" <sccosel@...> wrote:
          > --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com,
          >"kerravon86" <kerravon86@> wrote:
          >> --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com,
          >>"ScottC" <sccosel@> wrote:
          >>> C:\Hercules>hetget gcic.aws gcic.bin 1
          >>> Hercules HET extract files program Version 3.07
          >>> (c)Copyright 1999-2010 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
          >>> File Info:
          >>> DSN=CIC.LOAD.LIB.TAPE
          >>> DCB Attributes used:
          >>> RECFM=V LRECL=18448 BLKSIZE=18452

          IEBCOPY unloaded data sets are actually RECFM=VS
          but there won't be any spanned records unless an
          input block is close to 32KB

          The RECFM=V should work okay unless working with
          a real large BLKSIZE

          >> No, that gave you the default behaviour of hetget
          >>(ie before I touched it), which is to include BDW
          >>and RDW. Add the "-b" option and you will get what
          >>I consider to be sensible defaults, which in this
          >> case is an RDW file (ie BDW will be stripped).
          > Ok, that fixed it. But to compound the problem,
          >HERC01.TEST.LOADLIB is allocated like a data PDS
          >(FB 80). I noticed a few other HERC0* datasets are
          >allocated wrong, and there are uncataloged datasets
          >on MVSCAT and/or PUB000. I will research further
          >and correct this in MVS380 v1.2.
          > New problem in next note...

          I also saw the weird DCB attributes for
          HERC01.TEST.LOADLIB on the TK3UPD that I'm testing.
          The linkage editor and program fetch shouldn't have
          any problem with it but the BLKSIZE could be larger.
          You could back up and then compress with Ux0x6144
          or use ZAPVTOC or use the TSO Ready-Mode command:
          PDS FIX RECFM(U) LRECL(0) BLKSIZE(6144)
          and check that it did what you asked.
          If the load library is always on a 3350 or larger,
          then BLKSIZE=18432 is more standard than the 2314
          BLKSIZE=6144 or the 3330 BLKSIZE=12288 or use
          full-track for looks. Internally, MVS 3.8j linkage
          editor will not write blocks larger blocks than
          18432 but you can specify larger.
        • Rocky
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011

            Guys –

            You are using different versions –

            Scotts version is from November – Paul's version is from Sept. October.

            LOTs OF changes between them

            Roc

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011

              The latest version can be tested at:

              ROCSYS.DYNDNS.ORG port 3238 – (I usually use model 3)

              That is the TK3UPD version with no configuration at all.

              Just the way I downloaded it from the web site.

              Only added GCIC – source and And JCL etc. in HERC01 HLQ.

              Used HLQ HERC02 for games ----- Try not to destroy anything in Herc01 that starts with GCIC.

              The rest is for games.

              Once logged on – Just type GCIC

              Not really familiar with th system at all – Bt for me it works,

              Run time is picked up from sys2.cmdlib

              Roc

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011

                First of all – that was the older version back in Septemeber –

                Lots of changes since then. Last release was November,

                Probably all those games will work – But …..

                I sent you JCL – about 10-15 lines which will extract the file from the tape very easily.

                And in a standard manner… IEBCOPY -

                Do not understand why we are is reinventing the world here…

                Just not to confuse other readers ----- THERE IS A SIMPLE WAY TO DO IT.

                There is a very simple and standard JCL job that does it all…..

                Automatically without any games or need to inderstand HETGET etc.

                Not more than 10 or 15 lines.

                Roc

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011
                  --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "Rocky" <rocsystems@...> wrote:

                  > :-)
                  >
                  > First of all – that was the older version back in Septemeber –
                  >
                  > Lots of changes since then. Last release was November,

                  Yes, I believe I have the latest (Nov) version.

                  > Probably all those games will work – But …..
                  >
                  > I sent you JCL – about 10-15 lines which will extract the file from the tape
                  > very easily.
                  >
                  > And in a standard manner… IEBCOPY -

                  Yes, your JCL worked great! Thank you.

                  > Do not understand why we are is reinventing the world here…
                  >
                  > Just not to confuse other readers ----- THERE IS A SIMPLE WAY TO DO IT.

                  We aren't reinventing the wheel. I just borrowed your archive for use in testing the unl2load.bat utility. Sorry for the confusion.

                  > There is a very simple and standard JCL job that does it all…..

                  Yes, works great.

                  > Automatically without any games or need to inderstand HETGET etc.
                  >
                  > Not more than 10 or 15 lines.

                  Yes!
                • Rocky
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011

                    Thanks for the clarification ---

                    Fun an games is the name of the game –

                    Roc

                    > First of all – that was the older version back in Septemeber –
                    >
                    > Lots of changes since then. Last release was November,

                    Yes, I believe I have the latest (Nov) version.

                    > Probably all those games will work – But …..
                    >
                    > I sent you JCL – about 10-15 lines which will extract the file from
                    the tape
                    > very easily.
                    >
                    > And in a standard manner… IEBCOPY -

                    Yes, your JCL worked great! Thank you.

                    > Do not understand why we are is reinventing the world here…
                    >
                    > Just not to confuse other readers ----- THERE IS A SIMPLE WAY TO DO IT.

                    We aren't reinventing the wheel. I just borrowed your archive for use in testing the unl2load.bat utility. Sorry for the confusion.

                    > There is a very simple and standard JCL job that does it all…..

                    Yes, works great.

                    > Automatically without any games or need to inderstand HETGET etc.
                    >
                    > Not more than 10 or 15 lines.

                    Yes!