Re: ADDUSERP JCL Error and Increasing Max TSO Sessions

  • Andrea Cappelletti
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 1, 2011
      Back from work :) some answers:

      Actually i'm using RPF for 99% of the work, i just added the "external" support mostly for "fun" and learning.

      Regarding accessing the mainframe from work i can just exit on port 80 (my os380 already listen on port 80 for 3270 sessions) but sadly i must provide user/pass for getting trough the company proxy and even if i tryed something like 20 different 3270 clients i was unable to provide the credentials correctly for connecting to the 3270 sessions.

      Tonight is Cobol night, i found an hello world somewhere and i'll start from there, if you got any suggestion or easy tutorial on wher to learn a bit on cobol please let me know!
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 12, 2011
        --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, Gerhard Postpischil <gerhard@...> wrote:

        > On 2/12/2011 7:08 AM, kerravon86 wrote:
        > > Egypt has forced (or provided an opportunity for)
        > > another change in direction where humanity is owed
        > > a solid political argument in the free marketplace
        > > of ideas, even if it is ultimately ignored (which
        > > is exactly what I am expecting - which is why I long
        > > for the warm embrace of a C compiler in the first
        > > place). This will consume all my energy up until
        > > the point of Egyptian elections at which point I
        > > will give up, leave things in the "care" of the
        > > government/military to react as best it can (of
        > > course I trust them to the same extent that I trust
        > > them to ensure our capitalist societies aren't
        > > subjected to blatant horrible monopolies).
        >
        > I'm not holding my breath. While initial prospects look
        > promising, there is also the historical precedent of the French
        > revolution, Haiti (Duvalier pere et fils), Cuba, and Iran. Not
        > to mention Egypt the first time around, when they ousted king
        > Faroukh.

        The absence of communism/Cold War, and the presence
        of the internet have radically changed the situation
        in the world in general, and you can't predict how
        these things are going to go, so I think it's best to
        assume you're in with a chance anyway.

        Even when you look at the OOB and see that the
        protesters have no chance of winning at all,
        sometimes there is more to it than that.

        Also, some of the above had "great leaders" for the
        people to allow into dictatorship. Neither Tunisia
        nor Egypt have any great leader - both countries are
        rightly very wary of anyone at all and know they
        need some protection against yet another strongman.

        We also have the historical precedent of Iraq, and
        can to some extent predict that there are 300 political
        parties in Egypt waiting to happen. And election
        turnout rates higher than in the US for that matter.

        What happens next is to a large extent as unpredictable
        as the results from the first time you compile and
        run a new program you just wrote.

        And due to some sort of constraint, your new program
        is operating a pacemaker on a live patient and it
        needs to work first time, or at least be able to
        gracefully fail in a certain way, so you build in an
        abend handler. There - I can come up with tortuous
        analogies as good as yours!

        BFN. Paul.