selective availability

    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2010
      For those of you who are outraged by the fact that
      despite the fact that I knew about a bug in the
      beta PDPCLIB with RMODE ANY, and yet made NO
      PROGRESS on resolving it, not even on Saturday
      when I couldn't use the old "work work had me up
      until 4am" excuse, well, believe it or not,

      THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE THAN PDPCLIB.

      Such as celebrating the 10 year anniversary of
      the removal of Selective Availability from the US
      Global Positioning System.

      Unless the Kiwis beat us to the punch due to their
      unfair geographical location, here were the first
      (it's not unfair when we rely on geographical
      location - including but not limited to "biggest/best
      in the Southern Hemisphere!" type claims) celebrations
      of the occasion:

      http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7856bf99-b51d-4206-a199-6dfb5db2a0bd&log=y&decrypt=

      Of course, with SA gone, the technical challenge
      of defeating the US military was gone, so I left
      the GPS scene around then, and wandered a bit
      aimlessly now that there seemed to be little
      purpose in life. Pretty much up until 9/11, where
      I got a new technical challenge (defeating the
      enemies of the US, to ensure the long-term viability
      of the SA-free GPS signal) to focus on again.

      That has been and gone too (albeit unimplemented,
      because no US President is willing to nod his
      head to unleash the military with the required
      focus, and the other governments (and people) of
      the world are even worse).

      Note that this message is primarily an update about
      PDPCLIB, which isn't off-topic, as far as I can
      tell from the group description.

      BFN. Paul.
    • Gerhard Postpischil
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2010
        On 5/1/2010 12:56 PM, kerravon86 wrote:
        > Such as celebrating the 10 year anniversary of
        > the removal of Selective Availability from the US
        > Global Positioning System.

        Unfortunately I didn't retain the particulars, but the Pentagon
        finally relented several years after a university demonstrated
        that with their own stationary transmitter and the GPS
        satellites, they could establish position to within 2 cm. To
        make it more available to the "normal" US citizen, they did it
        by flying a toy helicopter autonomously to various targets.

        > Unless the Kiwis beat us to the punch due to their
        > unfair geographical location, here were the first

        What is unfair about their location? While our North-South
        coordinates are defined by geophysical properties, the East-West
        ones are purely arbitrary. There is nothing preventing you from
        positing a prime meridian running through the Opera house in
        Sidney <g> And according to Robert A, Heinlein, they have the
        worst food in the hemisphere!

        Gerhard Postpischil
        Bradford, VT
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2010
          --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, Gerhard Postpischil <gerhardp@...> wrote:

          > On 5/1/2010 12:56 PM, kerravon86 wrote:
          > > Such as celebrating the 10 year anniversary of
          > > the removal of Selective Availability from the US
          > > Global Positioning System.
          >
          > Unfortunately I didn't retain the particulars, but the Pentagon
          > finally relented several years after a university demonstrated
          > that with their own stationary transmitter and the GPS
          > satellites, they could establish position to within 2 cm. To
          > make it more available to the "normal" US citizen, they did it
          > by flying a toy helicopter autonomously to various targets.

          Sounds like an urban legend to me. I didn't hear
          any such thing in sci.geo.satellite-nav. What I
          have heard is that they did it after they came up
          with the technology to completely deny GPS to an
          enemy at time of war.

          > > Unless the Kiwis beat us to the punch due to their
          > > unfair geographical location, here were the first
          >
          > What is unfair about their location?

          It's more the fact that they are just very annoying
          people in general. Especially since they fluked a
          win here:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_World_Cup

          after Australia went to so much effort to concentrate
          on a sport that no-one else actually plays except as
          a spoof.

          Rugby League is a fringe of a fringe. The first-level
          fringe (ie where more than 1 country takes it
          semi-seriously) is here:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Union_World_Cup

          > While our North-South
          > coordinates are defined by geophysical properties, the East-West
          > ones are purely arbitrary. There is nothing preventing you from
          > positing a prime meridian running through the Opera house in
          > Sidney <g>

          That won't help. What we need is for it to be
          positioned 1 hour's worth West of London, so
          that the Kiwis are always the last in the world
          at everything. It would still mean that Sydney
          is 1 hour behind some other (presumed) regions
          (we're normally UTC + 10), but that would be
          worth it so long as the damned Kiwis are last.

          Ooops. Did I say that out loud?

          BFN. Paul.