Re: performance

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "kerravon86" <kerravon86@...>

      1:15 on a core 2 duo T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz.

      > http://www.cpubenchmark.net

      ranks that as 1192, so should be 474/(1192/2) of
      my Celeron = 36.5 minutes, but actually it came
      through as 33 minutes.

      stage2a of GCCMVS using Hercules/380 3.05-2.x (*)

      30 mins - core 2 duo E6750

      33 mins - Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz

      38 mins - Dell Inspiron 1525 Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2 GHz

      40 mins - Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 Ghz

      43 mins - Pentium M @ 2 Ghz

      45 mins - Intel Pentium M 1.86 Ghz

      46 mins - Toshiba Satellite A200 Intel Celeron M 440 @ 1.86 GHz

      53 mins - IBM Thinkpad G40 Type 2388 Pentium 4 2.4 GHz

      Quite frankly, the difference between a cheap laptop
      and an expensive one is pretty paltry.

      BFN. Paul.

      (*) Latest 2.x of Hercules is the same speed as 2.0.
      However, a change was made to gcc (reducing number
      of #defines) that had the potential to reduce compilation
      time, but if it did, it was too small to identify given
      the granularity plus nature of testing environment.
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
        wrote:

        > --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "kerravon86" <kerravon86@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I have been fascinated with the long-running GCCMVS
        > > compiles (on the laptop I just bought, that comes to
        > > 1.5 hours total - assuming the build-via-bison is
        >
        > 1:15 on a core 2 duo T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz.
        >
        > > http://www.cpubenchmark.net
        >
        > ranks that as 1192, so should be 474/(1192/2) of
        > my Celeron = 36.5 minutes, but actually it came
        > through as 33 minutes.

        Now got a result for an HP Mini (really small laptop).

        Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60 Ghz, 1 GB memory

        289 is the official benchmark. So should be
        474/289 * 46 = 75 minutes.

        Actual is 90 minutes.

        So now we have:

        stage2a of GCCMVS using Hercules/380

        30 mins - core 2 duo E6750

        33 mins - Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz

        38 mins - Dell Inspiron 1525 Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2 GHz

        40 mins - Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 Ghz

        43 mins - Pentium M @ 2 Ghz

        45 mins - Intel Pentium M 1.86 Ghz

        46 mins - Toshiba Satellite A200 Intel Celeron M 440 @ 1.86 GHz

        53 mins - IBM Thinkpad G40 Type 2388 Pentium 4 2.4 GHz

        90 mins - Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60 Ghz
      • Mike Schwab
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
          Did Warren ever get MVS running on that IPAQ 5450?
          http://www.hercules-390.org/hercfaq.html section 3.01.

          On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM, kerravon86 <kerravon86@...> wrote:
          > --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "kerravon86" <kerravon86@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, "kerravon86" <kerravon86@>
          >> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > I have been fascinated with the long-running GCCMVS
          >> > compiles (on the laptop I just bought, that comes to
          >> > 1.5 hours total - assuming the build-via-bison is
          >>
          >> 1:15 on a core 2 duo T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz.
          >>
          >> > http://www.cpubenchmark.net
          >>
          >> ranks that as 1192, so should be 474/(1192/2) of
          >> my Celeron = 36.5 minutes, but actually it came
          >> through as 33 minutes.
          >
          > Now got a result for an HP Mini (really small laptop).
          >
          > Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60 Ghz, 1 GB memory
          >
          > 289 is the official benchmark. So should be
          > 474/289 * 46 = 75 minutes.
          >
          > Actual is 90 minutes.
          >
          > So now we have:
          >
          > stage2a of GCCMVS using Hercules/380
          >
          > 30 mins - core 2 duo E6750
          >
          > 33 mins - Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 Ghz
          >
          > 38 mins - Dell Inspiron 1525 Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2 GHz
          >
          > 40 mins - Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 Ghz
          >
          > 43 mins - Pentium M @ 2 Ghz
          >
          > 45 mins - Intel Pentium M 1.86 Ghz
          >
          > 46 mins - Toshiba Satellite A200 Intel Celeron M 440 @ 1.86 GHz
          >
          > 53 mins - IBM Thinkpad G40 Type 2388 Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
          >
          > 90 mins - Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60 Ghz

          Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2010
            Here is an updated list for GCC, as I have two
            new machines documented (in a file I am now
            maintaining call gccperf.txt on my hard disk
            because I keep having to search the archives
            to get the previous list) now:

            stage2a of GCCMVS using various versions of Hercules/380

            2 mins - estimate based on a 5-minute run on an unspecified Z9

            13 mins - Z9 @ 85 mips

            30 mins - core 2 duo E6750

            33 mins - core i3 M330 2.13 GHz

            33 mins - Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 GHz

            38 mins - Dell Inspiron 1525 Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2 GHz

            40 mins - Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz

            43 mins - Pentium M @ 2 GHz

            45 mins - Intel Pentium M 1.86 GHz

            46 mins - Toshiba Satellite A200 Intel Celeron M 440 @ 1.86 GHz

            53 mins - IBM Thinkpad G40 Type 2388 Pentium 4 2.4 GHz

            90 mins - Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60 GHz

            It is interesting that real-world real-iron is
            operating at a MIP rating that can be achieved
            by a decent PC.

            BFN. Paul.