Re: MVS380 on Linux in 10 steps...

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
      --- In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, Gerhard Postpischil <gerhardp@...> wrote:

      > kerravon86 wrote:
      > > E.g. I'll get the disassemblies working to the
      > > point where MVS is built from "source", but have
      > > no intention of modifying MVS myself. It is best
      > > that those with the hard-won skills do that. I'll
      > > just make it easier for them by doing the obvious
      > > and straightforward legwork.
      >
      > After your suggestion, I modified DISASM to let you specify the
      > instruction set (OPTION S/370, etc.). I also added support for
      > expanding DC C constants for lower case text (I was getting sick
      > and tired of looking at DSSDUMP dumps, and needed a diversion).
      > I still want to change the way C constants are handled (support
      > continuation and explicit length), so let me know if you want it
      > sooner.

      I had intended to update the C version of the
      disassembler to support that feature before
      doing the mass disassemblies, but if you've
      update the assembler version, then I think that's
      enough.

      This hasn't reached the top of my priority list
      yet though. VM/380 has priority but I'm not
      working on it currently. After that comes the C
      compiler, as doors have been opened on that to
      allow it to push forward more.

      Specifically, in the last few hours I've got a
      single Linux GCC 3.4.6 executable compiled with
      PDPCLIB that is able to compile simple C programs,
      which means that I should now be in a position
      to do testing on my Windows box and on MVS, free
      from Unix nonsense.

      Driving forward with GCC to bring it up-to-date
      allows other things like PL/1 to potentially be
      enabled, and for whatever reason, there is a
      paucity of people willing or able to drive GCC
      forward, so that remains the most productive
      niche for me to concentrate on.

      Although I am mindful of the fact that a lack of
      source hinders others with rare skills from
      working productively too. But diassembling is
      not a rare skill. It's an interesting journey. :-)

      BFN. Paul.