7440Re: [hercules-os380] concatenation of unlike partitioned datasets

  • somitcw
    Mar 22, 2014
      ---In hercules-os380@yahoogroups.com, <gerhardp@...> wrote :
      >On 3/23/2014 12:03 AM, kerravon86@... wrote:
      >>> I've tried any number of wonderful things, but no matter what I do,
      >>>I cannot get around the 001-1 abend when using BSAM or BPAM

      I don't believe that MVS 3.8j has an OPTCD to get around that.

      >> Is this strictly for opening an unlike PDS concatenation?
      > For some values of "unlike"; for opening a load library concatenation
      >for tasklib use, checking is minimal (I think only a null data set will
      >give an error), and it will load even with bad block sizes.
      > For BPAM use, there is no formal support; it is required that the
      >(major) record formats be the same (F, V, U), allowing minors
      >(B, S, A, M), and requiring compatible record lengths and block sizes.
      > If I can open the concatenation with BPAM, and use EXCP, then the
      >block size won't matter (allocate maximum buffer, and Read Count,
      >Key, and Data) - find the concatenation number to get original
      >RECFM and LRECL), and proceed as with the tape and BSAM
      > Another alternative is less efficient: determine the DD concatenation
      >of the desired member, get the corresponding JFCB and UCB,
      >dynamically allocate it (which will fail if the user specified
      >DISP=OLD for read), process that normally, and free on close.
      >This would maintain device independence, and support PDS/Es.
      >Gerhard Postpischil
      >Bradford, Vermont

      Can you set the TIOT offset in the DCB ( DCBTIOT after OPEN )?
      I've never used the method so don't know if an OPEN, FEOV,
      CLOSE TYPE=T, or other method is used to switch.
    • Show all 143 messages in this topic