[Fwd: Re: [H390-VM] Re: Going from P/370 to Hercules using VM/ESA (370 feature)]

  • dhdurgee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
      --- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Harold Grovesteen <h.grovsteen@...> wrote:

      > Don't know why this post to the VM group did not show up... so, here it
      > is again.

      I am seeing conflicting information here and in the comments in the commadpt.c code. Looking there I see:

      To enable TTY mode for a particular port, specify ``LNCTL=ASYNC'' in the
      hercules conf file.

      Yet further down in the file I see:

      You can specify lnctl=tele2 for TTY and lnctl=ibm1 for 2741.

      Samples:
      0045 2703 lport=32003 dial=IN lnctl=ibm1 term=2741 skip=5EDE code=ebcd
      0045 2703 lport=32003 dial=IN lnctl=tele2 uctrans=yes term=tty skip=88C9DF

      Given the samples I was assuming the first reference was in error.

      Looking in the code itself I see the following:

      case COMMADPT_KW_LNCTL:
      if(strcasecmp(res.text,"tele2")==0
      || strcasecmp(res.text,"ibm1")==0 ) {
      dev->commadpt->lnctl = COMMADPT_LNCTL_ASYNC;
      dev->commadpt->rto=28000; /* Read Time-Out in milis */
      } else if(strcasecmp(res.text,"bsc")) {
      dev->commadpt->lnctl = COMMADPT_LNCTL_BSC;
      } else {
      msg013e(dev,"LNCTL",res.text);
      }
      break;

      This appears to confirm the later case, unless I am mistaken in my reading of the code.

      As I noted in my prior posting I am having problems with the 2703 support. I have a working P/370 and am looking to use hercules for a disaster recovery system. Given I require telnet access for the application I am running 2703 support is necessary.

      As I have a working P/370 I of course have the AWS2703.EXE that provides the 2703 support to the P/370. Would it be useful if I made a copy available to those developing the hercules 2703 support for reference?

      Dave
    • ikj1234i
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
        > to have a telnet server listening to it. lntcl=tele2 does not provide this.
        >
        > It needs to be lntcl=ASYNC to recognize at all that a Telnet client is
        > connected to this port.

        Not clear where this is coming from, but it's not correct.

        lnctl=async isn't a valid value.

        lnctl=tele2 or lnctl=ibm1 or lnctl=bsc are the three valid values.

        Here's a complete example:
        0045 2703 lport=32003 dial=IN lnctl=tele2 uctrans=yes term=tty skip=88C9DF

        Max
      • ikj1234i
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
          > This appears to confirm the later case, unless I am mistaken in my reading of the code.

          You're correct. LNCTL=ASYNC was a valid value in the old days before my 2741 additions or TTY additions. With the patch applied, however, IBM1 or TELE2 must now be specified (or BSC) .

          Max
        • Harold Grovesteen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
            dhdurgee wrote:

            >--- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Harold Grovesteen <h.grovsteen@...> wrote:
            >

            >>Don't know why this post to the VM group did not show up... so, here it
            >>is again.

            Yes, I think the comments should say COMMADPT_LNCTL_ASYNC rather than
            lnctl=ASYNC. I did not look into the code, I just reviewed the
            comments. The web pages do not yet document the async support. This
            might mean it is still a work in progress which could be the source of
            your issues (or the developer did not yet get around to updating the pages).

            I think the intent is there for you to be able to do what you are trying
            to do. However, whether it is mature enough yet may still be an
            outstanding question. The fact that the embedded redumentary Telnet
            server responds with won't and don't to all commands from your Telnet
            client might also be an issue with the client.

            >Looking in the code itself I see the following:

            >case COMMADPT_KW_LNCTL:
            > if(strcasecmp(res.text,"tele2")==0
            > || strcasecmp(res.text,"ibm1")==0 ) {
            > dev->commadpt->lnctl = COMMADPT_LNCTL_ASYNC;
            > dev->commadpt->rto=28000; /* Read Time-Out in milis */
            > } else if(strcasecmp(res.text,"bsc")) {
            > dev->commadpt->lnctl = COMMADPT_LNCTL_BSC;
            > } else {
            > msg013e(dev,"LNCTL",res.text);
            > }
            > break;
            >
            >This appears to confirm the later case, unless I am mistaken in my reading of the code.
            >
            >As I noted in my prior posting I am having problems with the 2703 support. I have a working P/370 and am looking to use hercules for a disaster recovery system. Given I require telnet access for the application I am running 2703 support is necessary.

            Does Hercules provide any log messages when you start it up related to
            these devices? If so, please post them.

            In reviewing the code myself there are a lot of diagnostic messages
            provided if the device is being traced. I would encourate that you
            enable tracing for the device before you IPL VM. The trace goes to the
            hercules log file. When you invoke hercules direct the log file to a
            file. Check the web pages or the Hercules manuals for how to do these
            things if you are unfamiliar. The manuals can be downloaded form the site.

            The device traces may make it obvious what might need to be tweaked in
            the configuration statements or provide enough information about what is
            happening to identify what might be wrong with the code, or your usage.
            If you are sufficiently familiar with C, you may want to examine the
            code yourself with the trace messages and see what you can conclude.
            Hopefully, posting the trace results should be informative about the
            nature of the underlying issues.

            Harold Grovesteen

            Does Hercules

            >As I have a working P/370 I of course have the AWS2703.EXE that provides the 2703 support to the P/370. Would it be useful if I made a copy available to those developing the hercules 2703 support for reference?

            Doubtful that an EXE would help anyone.

            >Dave

            >Files and archives at:
            >
            >Get the latest version of Hercules from:
            > http://www.hercules-390.org
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Harold Grovesteen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
              ikj1234i wrote:

              >>to have a telnet server listening to it. lntcl=tele2 does not provide this.
              >>
              >>It needs to be lntcl=ASYNC to recognize at all that a Telnet client is
              >>connected to this port.
              >>

              >Not clear where this is coming from, but it's not correct.

              It came from the comments in commadpt.c

              >lnctl=async isn't a valid value.
              >
              >lnctl=tele2 or lnctl=ibm1 or lnctl=bsc are the three valid values.
              >
              >Here's a complete example:
              >0045 2703 lport=32003 dial=IN lnctl=tele2 uctrans=yes term=tty skip=88C9DF
              >
              >Max

              >Files and archives at:
              >
              >Get the latest version of Hercules from:
              > http://www.hercules-390.org
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Harold Grovesteen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
                ikj1234i wrote:

                >>This appears to confirm the later case, unless I am mistaken in my reading of the code.
                >>

                >You're correct. LNCTL=ASYNC was a valid value in the old days before my 2741 additions or TTY additions. With the patch applied, however, IBM1 or TELE2 must now be specified (or BSC) .

                If you provided the additions for 2741 and TTY, you should update the
                comments in the code. They are not inaccurate.