Re: [hercules-390] Help for CBT JES2 Remote Printers (JRP package)

  • Scott Vetter
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 1, 2004
      Kevin Monceaux wrote:

      >Scott,
      >
      >I would like to try to get JRP working on my Turnkey MVS system. Did it
      >require any tweaking to get it working or does it work "out of the box"?
      >Also is it the latest version from the CBT Tape that will run on MVS 3.8J or
      >is it from an older CBT Tape?
      >

      >Kevin

      It does require some tweaking. First you have to have a 3287 printer
      in MVS and it must be defined to VTAM as well as hercules. Then you
      also have to have the appropriate logmode table entry in VTAM. Once
      that's done, you define the printer(s) to JRP and define which sysout
      class (the easiest) that the printer(s) are to handle. Copy the proc to
      sys1.proclib and the parameter set to sys1.parmlib. You also need to
      define/add for the JRP application to VTAM. You can also modify VTAM's
      Netsol to make loggin into JRP a little easier (optional). Lastly, you
      need a 3287 emulator which can be obtained from Paul Mattes at
      Paul.Mattes@.... (I could also upload it to the files section if
      desired) Be sure to get his latest one 3.3a as it allows the most
      atonomus use and is more customizable.

      There are other things you can tweak in JRP but that will get you
      started.

      Scott
    • Scott Vetter
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 1, 2004
        I don't know if Paul Mattes has made the improvements available, but
        I'm sure there would be no problem if I distributed it as it is all open
        source and he made the previous version freely available.

        Scott

        Kevin Monceaux wrote:

        >Scott,
        >
        >Which 3297 emulator are you using? Is the version with improvements
        >available? I currently have Hercules running on a Mandrake Linux box.
        >

        >Kevin
        >

        >On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 05:34:21PM -0500, Scott Vetter wrote:
        >

        >> Yes, you must have a 3287 emulator. It is best to get hercules
        >>started, then your 3287emulator, and then IPL your OS, and finally JRP.
        >>My emulator came with SuSE linux but it was lacking. In contacting the
        >>author he made some improvements to it and so now it works just fine.
        >>The true printer (brother HL-1650n) is LAN connected.

      • Kevin Monceaux
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
          Scott,

          Looks like YahooGroups ate my other message about JRP. Which version runs
          on MVS 3.8J? Were any modifications required? I would like to give it a
          try on my Turnkey MVS system. Hummm, it doesn't seem like all that long ago
          that the 3820's were finally retired at work.

          Kevin

          On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:01:48PM -0500, Scott Vetter wrote:
          > I don't know if Paul Mattes has made the improvements available, but
          > I'm sure there would be no problem if I distributed it as it is all open
          > source and he made the previous version freely available.
          >
          > Scott

        • Kevin Monceaux
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
            Scott,

            Disregard that. I never received the other message I sent about JRP but
            looks like I did receive your reply to it. Looks like YahooGroups is
            selectively sending me mail from the list.

            Kevin

            On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:03:22AM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
            > Scott,
            >
            > Looks like YahooGroups ate my other message about JRP. Which version runs
            > on MVS 3.8J? Were any modifications required? I would like to give it a
            > try on my Turnkey MVS system. Hummm, it doesn't seem like all that long ago
            > that the 3820's were finally retired at work.
            >

            > Kevin
          • Scott Vetter
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
              Get file158 from the CBT tape 249 from www.cbttape.org. It will run
              without modifications.

              Scott

              Kevin Monceaux wrote:

              >Scott,
              >
              >Looks like YahooGroups ate my other message about JRP. Which version runs
              >on MVS 3.8J? Were any modifications required? I would like to give it a
              >try on my Turnkey MVS system. Hummm, it doesn't seem like all that long ago
              >that the 3820's were finally retired at work.
              >

              >Kevin
              >
              >On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:01:48PM -0500, Scott Vetter wrote:
              >

              >> I don't know if Paul Mattes has made the improvements available, but
              >>I'm sure there would be no problem if I distributed it as it is all open
              >>source and he made the previous version freely available.
              >>
              >>Scott

            • Scott Vetter
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                I've noticed that too...

                Scott

                Kevin Monceaux wrote:

                >Scott,
                >
                >Disregard that. I never received the other message I sent about JRP but
                >looks like I did receive your reply to it. Looks like YahooGroups is
                >selectively sending me mail from the list.
                >

                >Kevin
                >

                >On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:03:22AM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
                >

                >>Scott,
                >>
                >>Looks like YahooGroups ate my other message about JRP. Which version runs
                >>on MVS 3.8J? Were any modifications required? I would like to give it a
                >>try on my Turnkey MVS system. Hummm, it doesn't seem like all that long ago
                >>that the 3820's were finally retired at work.
                >>

                >>Kevin

              • Kevin Monceaux
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Scott,

                  I must admit to being a system programmer newbie. In real life I work as a
                  mainframe operator but have no system programming experience other than my
                  personal "mainframe". Is an I/O gen required on the Turnkey system to
                  define a 3287 or does it only need to be defined to VTAM? Would you be
                  willing to post examples of your VTAM definition and Hercules config files?

                  Kevin

                  On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 01:59:02PM -0500, Scott Vetter wrote:
                  > It does require some tweaking. First you have to have a 3287 printer
                  > in MVS and it must be defined to VTAM as well as hercules. Then you
                  > also have to have the appropriate logmode table entry in VTAM. Once
                  > that's done, you define the printer(s) to JRP and define which sysout
                  > class (the easiest) that the printer(s) are to handle. Copy the proc to
                  > sys1.proclib and the parameter set to sys1.parmlib. You also need to
                  > define/add for the JRP application to VTAM. You can also modify VTAM's
                  > Netsol to make loggin into JRP a little easier (optional). Lastly, you
                  > need a 3287 emulator which can be obtained from Paul Mattes at
                  > Paul.Mattes@.... (I could also upload it to the files section if
                  > desired) Be sure to get his latest one 3.3a as it allows the most
                  > atonomus use and is more customizable.
                  >
                  > There are other things you can tweak in JRP but that will get you
                  > started.
                  >
                  > Scott

                • somitcw
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                    I assume that you are using an LU0 VTAM
                    definition. If so, you should be able to
                    get use a device defined as a 3277. To find
                    what is defined on your system, use MVS
                    command: d u,graphic,,,999

                    If you update SYS1.VTAMLST, you may need
                    to delete the member with the same name from
                    SYS1.VTAMOBJ. Things like LOGAPPL, USSTAB,
                    and LOGTAB should be changed or removed.
                    i.e. You don't want a printer to log on to
                    NETSOL ( LOGAPPL=NETSOL ).

                    --- In hercules-390@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Monceaux
                    <OwnedByDogs@g...> wrote:
                    >Scott,
                    > I must admit to being a system programmer newbie.
                    > In real life I work as a mainframe operator but
                    >have no system programming experience other than
                    >my personal "mainframe". Is an I/O gen required
                    >on the Turnkey system to define a 3287 or does it
                    >only need to be defined to VTAM? Would you be
                    >willing to post examples of your VTAM definition
                    >and Hercules config files?
                    >Kevin
                    >On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 01:59:02PM -0500, Scott
                    > Vetter wrote:
                    >> It does require some tweaking. First you have
                    >>to have a 3287 printer in MVS and it must be
                    >>defined to VTAM as well as hercules. Then you
                    >>also have to have the appropriate logmode table
                    >>entry in VTAM. Once that's done, you define the
                    >>printer(s) to JRP and define which sysout class
                    >>(the easiest) that the printer(s) are to handle.
                    >>Copy the proc to sys1.proclib and the parameter
                    >>set to sys1.parmlib. You also need to define/add
                    >>for the JRP application to VTAM. You can also
                    >>modify VTAM's Netsol to make loggin into JRP a
                    >>little easier (optional). Lastly, you need a
                    >>3287 emulator which can be obtained from Paul
                    >>Mattes at Paul.Mattes@u... (I could also upload
                    >>it to the files section if desired) Be sure to
                    >>get his latest one 3.3a as it allows the most
                    >>atonomus use and is more customizable.
                    >> There are other things you can tweak in JRP but
                    >>that will get you started.
                    >>Scott
                  • Scott Vetter
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                      Being an operator is OK... I don't know if the Turnkey system has a
                      3287 defined or not. It must be defined to both MVS as well as VTAM.
                      The only way you can get around one not being defined to MVS is if you
                      are using SNA, however, hercules does not have or have full SNA support
                      built into it. So, again you musty have one defined to MVS. You can
                      issue the command "D U,,,000,12" and such to see if one is defined.
                      (alter the starting address as well as the count to see all the devices)
                      You can also look at the stage 1 to see if it's there as well. If it
                      is not there, then you must either do an I/O gen or a full gen.

                      As for posting examples, I would be willing...

                      Scott