Mainframe for sale on e-bay ?

  • mdelafon@videotron.ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hello to all,

      I have seen some mainframe stuff for sale on e-bay and I don't know
      really what it is.

      Here's the list of what's for sale:

      For Sale: IBM Mainframe Equipment
      The equipment breaks down as:

      (Quantity = 1)
      3880-003 STORAGE CONTROL-3380,2 ST/DR
      8173 AD4/AE4 SUPPORT-3380
      9063 CLASSIC BLUE
      9208 3380 EXTENDED
      9903 208VOLT - 3PHASE

      (Quantity = 1)
      3380-AE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE
      9063 CLASSIC BLUE
      9903 208VOLT - 3PHASE

      (Quantity = 2)
      3380-BE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE
      9063 CLASSIC BLUE
      9903 208VOLT - 3PHASE

      The original total list price, about fifteen years ago, was around
      $400,000.

      Today, this mainframe could be useful for
      running legacy applications
      spare parts or recycling
      museum or showplace to demonstrate the evolution of computers

      For those who are interested look in Computers/Hardware/Vintage and
      do a search whith the keyword "mainframe".

      Martin de LaFontaine
      mdelafon@...
    • Jay Maynard
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
        On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 04:26:46PM -0000, mdelafon@... wrote:
        > I have seen some mainframe stuff for sale on e-bay and I don't know
        > really what it is.
        > 3880-003 STORAGE CONTROL-3380,2 ST/DR
        > 3380-AE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE
        > 3380-BE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE

        Got a big boat? This is a string of double-density 3380 DASD. It's not
        useful at all unless you have a mainframe to hang it off of, and the
        operating costs alone would be hideously prohibitive.
      • Ted Rolle
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
          Well, the pertinent question is: how much will you pay me to take it off
          your hands...

          On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Jay Maynard wrote:

          > On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 04:26:46PM -0000, mdelafon@... wrote:
          > > I have seen some mainframe stuff for sale on e-bay and I don't know
          > > really what it is.
          > > 3880-003 STORAGE CONTROL-3380,2 ST/DR
          > > 3380-AE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE
          > > 3380-BE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE
          >
          > Got a big boat? This is a string of double-density 3380 DASD. It's not
          > useful at all unless you have a mainframe to hang it off of, and the
          > operating costs alone would be hideously prohibitive.

          > Free Worldwide Calling with Firetalk!
          > Click Here:
          >
          > Files and archives at:
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/hercules-390
          >
          > Get the latest version of Hercules from:
          > http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

        • jim stephens
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000

            <snip>

            > The original total list price, about fifteen years ago, was around
            > $400,000.

            <snip>

            I pointed out to the poster that he had about $150 worth of scrap iron, but
            got no reply. I also chastied him for the ridiculous claim about the cost,
            since I have
            had the same junk stored in my warehouse for 10 years and I paid $150 when I

            got it.

            There was a 9375 posted and a 9221/520 posted that are more useful, but the
            software for both of these machines costs more than my house. Maybe
            Linux/390
            on the 9221, but the 9375 might not run mvt if you could load it.

            Jim
          • Mitch Wright
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
              You just need one of these to go with it:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370525382

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
                --- In hercules-390@egroups.com, Mitch Wright <mew_jac@s...> wrote:
                > You just need one of these to go with it:
                > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370525382
                >
                > At 12:03 PM 7/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
                > >On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 04:26:46PM -0000, mdelafon@v... wrote:
                > >> I have seen some mainframe stuff for sale on e-bay and I don't
                know
                > >> really what it is.
                > >> 3880-003 STORAGE CONTROL-3380,2 ST/DR
                > >> 3380-AE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE
                > >> 3380-BE4 DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE
                > >
                > >Got a big boat? This is a string of double-density 3380 DASD. It's
                not
                > >useful at all unless you have a mainframe to hang it off of, and
                the
                > >operating costs alone would be hideously prohibitive.

                Thank you all for the information! So I will forget the " $400 000.00
                worth stuff that I should be paid $ 150.00 if I would like to have
                it " !!!!!

                But the other thing, the ES 9000, or whatever, could it run Hercules?
                Would it fit in the basement of my house ? How many neighbors would I
                have to steal electricity from to power this thing? And how much
                B.T.U.s? The winters here in Quebec are very cold. Could I heat the
                house with it? Would I have to take a second mortgage just to pay for
                the delivery and installation costs? (/*$?*/$&*?/%"((&/%/%)

                Nahhhhhhh! I think it will be best (for now....) to continue playing
                along with Hercules on a PC. It's so energy efficient! If Martha
                Stewart ever reads this I'am sure she will say: "And that is a good
                thing."

                Just a thought...

                Martin de LaFontaine
                mdelafon@...