hercules studio connect to hercules

  • lornedudley
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
      I am new to Hercules, Hercules Studio, and Macs.

      I have Hercules installed under /usr/local/bin.

      My hercules.cnf and hercules.rc are also under /usr/local/bin.

      (I have Hercules re-generated so that the external-gui interface is enabled.)

      Hercules starts and operates correctly when started manually.

      I have the Snow Leopard version of HerculesStudio installed.

      When I click on the HerculesStudio.app icon, it starts OK.

      When I click on the Power On button, I get prompted for the .cnf file.

      Since the Mac menu does not allow me to go to /usr/local/bin I placed a copy of the hercules.cnf under /Users/pdudley and selected that for the .cnf open.

      I then get

      logger started
      Hercules could not be started (-1)
      check that hercules is properly installed and is on the default path
      or that the path specified in Edit/Preferences is correct.
      logger ended

      Edit/configuration shows /Users/pdudley/hercules.cnf

      I can't figure out how to make Browse see the /usr/local/bin structure.

      I am running Hercules_3.07 with the external-gui enabled.

      Where do I go from here ? I have not been able to find any documentation for the HerculesStudio / SnowLeopard combination.

      What is the default path for Hercules ?

      What is the suggested directory structure for Hercules ?

      Any suggestions appreciated.

      Regards

      Lorne Dudley
    • Lorne Dudley
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
        Here is my current structure.

        /usr/local/bin/hercules hercules executable

        /usr/local/bin/hercules.cnf
        /usr/local/bin/hercules.rc

        /Users/pdudley/mvs38j/dasd/ mvs38j operating system disks

        "/Users/pdudley/Desktop/hercules master terminal"
        tn3270 X configuration file

        "/Users/pdudley/Desktop/hercules tso terminal"
        tn3270 X configuration file

        This works correctly when I issue the "hercules" command from
        /usr/local/bin/
      • Rene Ferland
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
          --- In hercstudio@yahoogroups.com, "lornedudley" <dudleyl@...> wrote:
          > logger started
          > Hercules could not be started (-1)
          > check that hercules is properly installed and is on the default path
          > or that the path specified in Edit/Preferences is correct.
          > logger ended
          >
          > Edit/configuration shows /Users/pdudley/hercules.cnf
          >
          > I can't figure out how to make Browse see the /usr/local/bin structure.

          Hi Lorne,

          Have you tried to put "/usr/local/bin" on the path specified in Edit/Preferences?

          Rene FERLAND, Montreal
        • Jacob Dekel
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012
            Note that on a mac the "Preferences" will usually appear under
            "HerculesStudio" and not under "Edit".
            That is a MacOs convention.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012
              Hi Jacob and Rene !

              Thanks, I have moved forward after finding the Preferences under the
              HerculesStudio tab. HerculesStudio now finds and starts up Hercules.

              Two remaining questions.

              1. How do I get the hercules.rc file to get executed ? Right now, only
              the hercules.cnf file is examined.

              2. When I hit the "Power On" button, I get prompted for the .cnf file
              every time I start HerculesStudio. Is there anyway I can bypass this step ?

              Regards

              Lorne Dudley
            • Lorne Dudley
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012
                One more question.

                When I use HerculesStudio to start up hercules, I get
                HHCTT001W Timer thread set priority -20 failed: Permission denied.

                The only way I have been able to make this go away is by manually
                starting Hercules as superuser.

                Does anyone know if I can make this go away ? Would it be because
                hercules files are owned by "root" ? If I changed ownership could I
                expect the problem to go away ?

                Regards

                Lorne Dudley
              • dekel35
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 13, 2012
                  HerculesStudio -h
                  Usage:

                  HerculesStudio [ -f <hercules-config-file> ] [ -r <hercules-run-commands-file> ] [ -h ]

                  --- In hercstudio@yahoogroups.com, Lorne Dudley <dudleyl@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Jacob and Rene !
                  >
                  > Thanks, I have moved forward after finding the Preferences under the
                  > HerculesStudio tab. HerculesStudio now finds and starts up Hercules.
                  >
                  > Two remaining questions.
                  >
                  > 1. How do I get the hercules.rc file to get executed ? Right now, only
                  > the hercules.cnf file is examined.
                  >
                  > 2. When I hit the "Power On" button, I get prompted for the .cnf file
                  > every time I start HerculesStudio. Is there anyway I can bypass this step ?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Lorne Dudley

                • dekel35
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 13, 2012
                    This is a hercules problem, and not Hercules Studio.
                    You could try starting Hercules Studio as root, but this is a non-secure practice.

                    --- In hercstudio@yahoogroups.com, Lorne Dudley <dudleyl@...> wrote:

                    > One more question.
                    >
                    > When I use HerculesStudio to start up hercules, I get
                    > HHCTT001W Timer thread set priority -20 failed: Permission denied.
                    >
                    > The only way I have been able to make this go away is by manually
                    > starting Hercules as superuser.
                    >
                    > Does anyone know if I can make this go away ? Would it be because
                    > hercules files are owned by "root" ? If I changed ownership could I
                    > expect the problem to go away ?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Lorne Dudley

                  • Lorne Dudley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
                      Hello Jacob !

                      I can not figure out how to issue the command suggested below.
                      When I try, no matter where I am in the directory structure, I always get
                      -bash: HerculesStudio: command not found

                      I have HerculesStudio installed under this directory structure on the Mac.

                      /Volumes/Macintosh
                      HD/Applications/HerculesStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/HerculesStudio

                      The only way I have been able to get HerculesStudio executing is to
                      double-click on the green HerculesStudio icon under Applications.

                      When I do it this way, I am always prompted to supply the .cnf file and
                      I see no way to connect to the .rc file.

                      Is that the way it is with this method ? Always prompted for .cnf ?
                      No way to connect to .rc file with this method ?

                      I am new to the Mac environment. My Mac software is Mac OS X 10.6.8.
                      Can you offer some guidance as to how I can execute this from the Mac
                      Terminal command line ?

                      Regards

                      Lorne Dudley

                      >> HerculesStudio -h
                      >> Usage:

                      >> HerculesStudio [ -f <hercules-config-file> ] [ -r
                      <hercules-run-commands-file> ] [ -h ]

                      > Two remaining questions.
                      >
                      > 1. How do I get the hercules.rc file to get executed ? Right now, only
                      > the hercules.cnf file is examined.
                      >
                      > 2. When I hit the "Power On" button, I get prompted for the .cnf file
                      > every time I start HerculesStudio. Is there anyway I can bypass this
                      step ?

                      > Regards
                      >
                      > Lorne Dud
                    • Lorne Dudley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 19, 2012
                        Thanks to René Ferland for doing the ground work for this information.

                        The standard hercstudio-1.3.0-snowleopard.dmg download requires some
                        additional Mac setup before it can be executed from the Terminal command
                        line.

                        If your HerculesStudio is placed in the /Applications folder, the
                        following must be done before the following line command will execute.

                        HerculesStudio [ -f <hercules-config-file> ] [ -r
                        <hercules-run-commands-file> ] [ -h ]

                        The executable lies in the following path.

                        /Applications/HerculesStudio.app/Contents/MacOS

                        The above path must be added to the PATH variable (verified by "echo $PATH")

                        1. In your user directory /Users/<userid> you must edit or create a
                        .profile file.
                        Place the following two entries at the end of your .profile using an
                        editor. (I use pico.)

                        PATH="${PATH}:/Applications/HerculesStudio.app/Contents/MacOS"
                        export PATH

                        2. Save .profile, close the Terminal session and start a new Terminal
                        session.

                        3. Change to the directory containing your Hercules configuration file
                        and .rc file.
                        Enter, as an example
                        HerculesStudio -f hercules.cnf -r hercules.rc

                        Regards

                        Lorne Dudley