Re: yarn for hemlock ring

  • Cathy Hudspeth
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2007
      Jenny -you are DA BOMB!!!! (Do people still say that?) Your chart is
      fabulous and helps me a great deal! It has taken the intimidation
      out of following a chart for me. Thank you so much for doing this.

      Cathy

      --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Penney" <penney@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Jared charted the rounds from 47 onwards, adding some extra rounds
      to make the blanket larger. His charting was done in a way that made
      visual sense to him, but doesn't exactly match the way that the
      pattern was written (his rounds start near the middle of the chart).

      > To assist those who are not as familiar with interpreting lace, I
      have recharted the instructions to more precisely match the written
      instructions, and uploaded the chart to the "files" area of this
      list. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hemlockringkal/files/ look
      for "Modified Hemlock Chart.pdf" The pattern rounds are numbered to
      match the written instructions.

      > - Jenny

      reading and re-reading and I don't see how the first row of his chart
      directly corresponds to row 47.

    • allicats@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2007
        Courtney,
        Jared's charted 1st row really is the same as the pattern's 47th row so it
        shouldn't matter which one you follow, but an extra point could be a
        problem. I'm suspecting that you've added stitches somewhere. On
        completing row 29 you should have 112 stitches. What do you have?

        Allison

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2007
          What I should have said is that Jared's chart would produce the same
          results. Jenny's right about her chart being closer in looks to how the
          patterns written. I do prefer hers though I must say that's mostly because
          it's large enough that I can *see* it. Thanks Jenny.

          Allison

          > Jared's charted 1st row really is the same as the pattern's 47th row so it
          > shouldn't matter which one you follow...
        • Courtney Sherwood

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2007
              I suspect you did a (O,k1) 9 times instead of eight times back at the very
              beginning. This may or may not be a problem. It *could* produce too much
              fabric for a circle and not be able to lie perfectly flat. For a lap robe,
              this probably won't be an issue. For a heavy shawl, it can be a good
              thing -- because the extra helps it stay on your shoulders.

              It may not be an issue at all depending on your yarn weight, needle size,
              and knitting tension (tight, medium, or loose). As long as that doesn't
              worry you, continue on being sure to do every thing 9 times instead of eight
              times (and ignore the stitch counts).

              If it *does* worry you, you can thread a *long* piece of yarn through all
              the loops (just as you would a lifeline), take it off the needles, and block
              what you have to see if the results so far please you -- then either
              continue on or frog depending.

              Allison

              >I have 126 after row 29 which is exactly enough for 9 pattern repeats. I
              > think the center may not be quite as perfectly symmetrical as the original
              > but i think it will work and just be a bit bigger?
              > Courtney
            • Suzan
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2007
                I have 500 yards of a very nice, soft aran weight wool yarn in my stash and I'm curious if I could use bigger needles and get a 4 foot ring out of this? It would be more lacy after blocking. I'm just not sure what the loss of 100 yards would do.

                Ideas and comments?

                Suzan

                On Aug 31, 2007, at 11:56 PM, Jennifer Penney wrote:

                Hi,

                Jared charted the rounds from 47 onwards, adding some extra rounds to make the blanket larger.  His charting was done in a way that made visual sense to him, but doesn't exactly match the way that the pattern was written (his rounds start near the middle of the chart).

                To assist those who are not as familiar with interpreting lace, I have recharted the instructions to more precisely match the written instructions, and uploaded the chart to the "files" area of this list.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hemlockringkal/files/     look for "Modified Hemlock Chart.pdf"   The pattern rounds are numbered to match the written instructions.

                - Jenny

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2007
                  What a wonderful expression!  I'm not sure I completely understand the difference between a "yarn depraved area" and a "yarn deprived area", but I assume it has something to do the quality of the yarn where you live rather than the quantity???
                  Cheers,
                  JPS

                  From: hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com On Behalf Of DingALin2@... Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 11:32 PM
                  To: hemlockringkal@ya . . . Subject: Re: yarn for hemlock ring

                   . . .   I'm in a yarn depraved area.  So I usually have to order online  . . . ~ Lin ~
                  .

                • angrysirok
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Jenny - Thank you! - I have only been knitting for 9 months - I was
                    having trouble with jared's chart - this is a big help!

                    - lily

                    - In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Hudspeth" <hudcathy@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Jenny -you are DA BOMB!!!! (Do people still say that?) Your chart is
                    > fabulous and helps me a great deal! It has taken the intimidation
                    > out of following a chart for me. Thank you so much for doing this.
                    >
                    > Cathy
                    >

                    > --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Penney" <penney@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > Jared charted the rounds from 47 onwards, adding some extra rounds
                    > to make the blanket larger. His charting was done in a way that made
                    > visual sense to him, but doesn't exactly match the way that the
                    > pattern was written (his rounds start near the middle of the chart).
                    > >
                    > > To assist those who are not as familiar with interpreting lace, I
                    > have recharted the instructions to more precisely match the written
                    > instructions, and uploaded the chart to the "files" area of this
                    > list. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hemlockringkal/files/ look
                    > for "Modified Hemlock Chart.pdf" The pattern rounds are numbered to
                    > match the written instructions.
                    > >
                    > > - Jenny

                  • Colette Miranda
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2007
                      Hi,

                      My name is Colette and I just joined this group - I haven't gotten my yarn yet - I am thinking of buying a cone of Jaggerspun Super Lamb from Sarahs yarn - it is almost 6000 yards - I can then wind balls and combine till I get a weight that works for me.

                      I am looking forward to starting this KAL!

                      --
                      Colette
                      http://miracole.blogspot.com