Re: [hemlockringkal] I'm near the end and have a question

  • christina wright
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2011
      I used giant cones of yarn from my stash, so running out wasn't a concern for me. You will definitely need longer needles-lol

      I am not a lace knitter, this was my first project, and I had no problems at all with the cast off. Don't try to think ahead, just do it when you get there. If you are really concerned about it, knit a swatch and try it first, but I really don't think you will need to.

      On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM, mamabearknitting <warkenda@...> wrote:

      I am now on row 56 of the Feather and Fan chart and have about half of my Cascade Eco + left.  I have read that the knitted cast off takes  a great deal of yarn, but I would like to try it anyway.  If I continue the pattern for several more rows (the pattern I have goes through row 70) will I need a third skein of yarn to finish it?  I believe I will already need another set of circular needles because things are pretty tight on these as it is (believe it or not, I am using 18 inchers).

      The second part of my question involves the beautiful lace cast off.  I have tried to visualize it and can not get my hear wrapped around it.  Perhaps it would be best just to do it, but I do not want to mess it up completely.  Are there any suggestions or pointers for this edging?

      Thanks!

    • whitefyre1982
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2011
        You will definitely need another skein if you want to do more rows before binding off. Imagine, there are about 15 sts on the bind off for every 4 sts you currently have. I thought the knitted bind off and the lace one were the same, but maybe I have it confused?

        --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "mamabearknitting" <warkenda@...> wrote:

        > I am now on row 56 of the Feather and Fan chart and have about half of
        > my Cascade Eco + left. I have read that the knitted cast off takes a
        > great deal of yarn, but I would like to try it anyway. If I continue
        > the pattern for several more rows (the pattern I have goes through row
        > 70) will I need a third skein of yarn to finish it? I believe I will
        > already need another set of circular needles because things are pretty
        > tight on these as it is (believe it or not, I am using 18 inchers).
        > The second part of my question involves the beautiful lace cast off. I
        > have tried to visualize it and can not get my hear wrapped around it.
        > Perhaps it would be best just to do it, but I do not want to mess it up
        > completely. Are there any suggestions or pointers for this edging?
        > Thanks!

      • mamabearknitting
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 20, 2011
          Thank you Paul, Christina and "whitefyre" so much for your help. I have purchased the second skein, and am continuing to knit. I will worry about the lace work bind off when I get to it. You are right, I should worry about that when I get to it. I am a strong knitter and have been knitting for a long time, I just have a bad habit of over thinking and not trusting in my own skills. I am anxious to get it off the needles and see what it looks like but adding the extra rows, I believe, will make me much happier with the size. Thank you again with your help!