Oker Cast On

  • A
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
      Ok... so I feel a little silly. I cant seem to do the Emily Oker cast on. I am doing something wrong to where when I pull the yarn to close the circle it doesnt close. haha. oh well. I think that I am going to cast on as usual and then see how it looks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to close the circle once I have complete the rest of the throw?

      Thank you.
      Angela
    • Ann
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2010
        do you happen to have a copy of the Elizabeth Zimmermann Knitters' Almanac? That has an excellent description of the cast-on you mentioned.
        hth
        Ann

        Posted by: "A" lovespnklilies@...   lovespnklilies

        Fri Sep 3, 2010 2:46 am (PDT)

        Ok... so I feel a little silly. I cant seem to do the Emily Oker cast on. I am doing something wrong to where when I pull the yarn to close the circle it doesnt close. haha. oh well. I think that I am going to cast on as usual and then see how it looks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to close the circle once I have complete the rest of the throw?

        Thank you.
        Angela

      • Mcnichol, Rebekah Ms DoD Ben USA
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
          I looked it up online and have great results doing it with a crochet
          hook. I couldn't get it to work with a needle, but I am a wiz at the
          crochet hook method. I use it every other day working on a huge
          version of the mystery weaving blanket.

          --Rebekah
        • A
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2010
            I do not have a copy of The knitters almanac. I am going to go out and get that. I will see if I can figure it out through that. Would be good to have hanging around too. Thank you.

            --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <jawdr@...> wrote:

            > do you happen to have a copy of the Elizabeth Zimmermann Knitters' Almanac? That has an excellent description of the cast-on you mentioned.
            > hth
            > Ann

            > Posted by: "A" lovespnklilies@... lovespnklilies
            > Fri Sep 3, 2010 2:46 am (PDT)
            >

            > Ok... so I feel a little silly. I cant seem to do the Emily Oker cast on. I am doing something wrong to where when I pull the yarn to close the circle it doesnt close. haha. oh well. I think that I am going to cast on as usual and then see how it looks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to close the circle once I have complete the rest of the throw?
            >
            > Thank you.
            > Angela

          • Jessica-Jean
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2010

              The same technique is used to begin crocheting in the round, although it's not credited to anyone in particular. It goes by the name of 'magic ring' or 'adjustable ring', and - for some unfathomable reason - is not often used. At least, it isn't often part of the instructions for any pattern, but is far better (smoother, neater) than the usual options, which are listed below it in the following blog post/tutorial:
              http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28917.aspx

              Instead of working crochet stitches, just pick up stitches from alternating sides of the original `ring' pictured in figures 1, 2, & 3. Once joined in the round, the `tail' can be pulled to tighten it up as desired. Good for doilies or any article that requires beginning knitting in the round with a minimum of stitches.

              Elizabeth Zimmermann's books are great (I have them all.), but there's no reason you should be forced to wait until you've bought one to begin your project!

              Hope this helps.

              Jessica-Jean