another new one

  • curl_judith
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi, Just joined this group as I wanted to knit this blanket as soon as
      I saw it! Thanks to the moderator who sent me some directions as I was
      struggling to figure out how to find the pattern.I am sure I will be
      back as soon as I start so that I can get some advice. I have some yarn
      that I have been saving for something nice as I love the colour but I
      think it is too fine for this. I wonder if it will make it too
      complicated if I use more than one strand at a time. I am a bit late in
      getting started but on the plus side there are lots of people with
      experience now! Wish me luck, I have crocheted plenty of doilies but
      never knitted a really big one. Judith
    • anne_apple4444
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
        --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "curl_judith" <curl_judith@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, Just joined this group as I wanted to knit this blanket as soon as
        > I saw it! Thanks to the moderator who sent me some directions as I was
        > struggling to figure out how to find the pattern.I am sure I will be
        > back as soon as I start so that I can get some advice. I have some
        yarn
        > that I have been saving for something nice as I love the colour but I
        > think it is too fine for this. I wonder if it will make it too
        > complicated if I use more than one strand at a time. I am a bit late
        in
        > getting started but on the plus side there are lots of people with
        > experience now! Wish me luck, I have crocheted plenty of doilies but
        > never knitted a really big one. Judith

        Judith,

        I just finished this hemlock and am about to block it. If you use
        thinner yarn, I think you will be disappointed since it is a really
        small afgan even when using the wool yarn that it was completed. Anne
      • curl_judith
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
          --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "anne_apple4444"
          <anne_apple4444@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your advice. I guess this will mean shopping for more
          yarn but thats an added bonus! Unfortunately the choices in yarn are
          more limited where I am living as it is a quiet part of France. Its
          either Phildar or Bergere de France. The latter have some nice
          colours so I will have to work out how much I will need. Judith

          > --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "curl_judith" <curl_judith@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, Just joined this group as I wanted to knit this blanket as
          soon as
          > > I saw it! Thanks to the moderator who sent me some directions as
          I was
          > > struggling to figure out how to find the pattern.I am sure I will
          be
          > > back as soon as I start so that I can get some advice. I have some
          > yarn
          > > that I have been saving for something nice as I love the colour
          but I
          > > think it is too fine for this. I wonder if it will make it too
          > > complicated if I use more than one strand at a time. I am a bit
          late
          > in
          > > getting started but on the plus side there are lots of people with
          > > experience now! Wish me luck, I have crocheted plenty of doilies
          but
          > > never knitted a really big one. Judith
          > >
          > Judith,
          >
          > I just finished this hemlock and am about to block it. If you use
          > thinner yarn, I think you will be disappointed since it is a really
          > small afgan even when using the wool yarn that it was completed.
          Anne

        • anne hols
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
            Let me know if I can help in any way.  I've only been knitting for about two years and someone kindly talked me through the rough parts.  In the end, I love it and looking forward to converting it into a baby blanket and using softer yarn.  Take Care.

            > Thanks for your advice. I guess this will mean shopping for more
            yarn but thats an added bonus! Unfortunately the choices in yarn are
            more limited where I am living as it is a quiet part of France. Its
            either Phildar or Bergere de France. The latter have some nice
            colours so I will have to work out how much I will need. Judith

            > --- In hemlockringkal@ yahoogroups. com, "curl_judith" <curl_judith@ >
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, Just joined this group as I wanted to knit this blanket as
            soon as
            > > I saw it! Thanks to
            the moderator who sent me some directions as
            I was
            > > struggling to figure out how to find the pattern.I am sure I will
            be
            > > back as soon as I start so that I can get some advice. I have some
            > yarn
            > > that I have been saving for something nice as I love the colour
            but I
            > > think it is too fine for this. I wonder if it will make it too
            > > complicated if I use more than one strand at a time. I am a bit
            late
            > in
            > > getting started but on the plus side there are lots of people with
            > > experience now! Wish me luck, I have crocheted plenty of doilies
            but
            > > never knitted a really big one. Judith
            > >
            > Judith,
            >
            > I just finished this hemlock and am about to block it. If you use
            > thinner yarn, I think you will be disappointed since it is a really
            > small afgan even when using the wool yarn that it was
            completed.
            Anne

          • gothie
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
              Judith I've just read that you're in France, Same here I'm living near in a wee town near Montpellier, we have a phildar and that's it. I looked around on-line and found this site

              http://www.laine-et-tricot.com/default.asp

              postage is very reasonable , i bought the cascade from there for another project and fully intend to buy from them again for the hemlock blanket. Hope this helps a wee bit, even if it is just for supplies. Phildars range is pretty but really limited and it's frustrating trying to explain an English pattern to them and try and find something i can use.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2009