Row 35 question

  • momtodandt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      So, I have hit the "dreaded row 35", and I am confused. Can someone
      help me understand? I'm using the Rainey Sister "corrected"
      instructions, and I am confident that through row 34 what I have on my
      needles is correct.

      At the end of row 33 it specifically says there should be 136 stitches
      between markers. With 8 sections, that means there are 17 stitches
      per section. Row 34 is a knit row.

      But when I count the number is "base stitches" needed to complete row
      35 between markers (total stitches minus YO's and psso's) I come up
      with 18 stitches needed. 18x8= 144, not 136.

      I am further confused by the directions themselves. They read
      "yo,k1,yo,*sl1,k2tog,psso,yo,k4,yo,sl1,k2tog,psso,(yo,k1)twice,sl1,
      k2tog,psso,,(k1,yo)twice. Repeat from * around, ending with k1.

      Does this mean that the first "section" contains a "yo,k1,yo" that the
      other 7 sections lack? And I don't understand the direction at the
      end to "end with k1". Is this a k1 following the (k1,yo)twice that
      again would not be present in section 1?

      Please, if you can make sense of this question, offer me some guidance!

      Thank you!
    • Jane Jetson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi,
        First of all, the round 35 you typed is incorrect, maybe you have an older version of the raineysisters post.  It should read: *O,k1,O, sl 1, k2tog, psso, O, k4, O, sl 1, k2tog, psso, (O, k1) twice; sl 1, k2tog, psso, k1.  Repeat from * around.

        You will have 17 st./ section.
        HTH.

        Karen Lynn (janejetson on Ravelry)
        Bay Village, OH

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
          --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "momtodandt"
          <leslievinson@...> wrote:

          > So, I have hit the "dreaded row 35", and I am confused. Can someone
          > help me understand? I'm using the Rainey Sister "corrected"
          > instructions, and I am confident that through row 34 what I have on
          my
          > needles is correct.
          >
          > At the end of row 33 it specifically says there should be 136
          stitches
          > between markers. With 8 sections, that means there are 17 stitches
          > per section. Row 34 is a knit row.
          >
          > But when I count the number is "base stitches" needed to complete
          row
          > 35 between markers (total stitches minus YO's and psso's) I come up
          > with 18 stitches needed. 18x8= 144, not 136.
          >
          > I am further confused by the directions themselves. They read
          > "yo,k1,yo,*sl1,k2tog,psso,yo,k4,yo,sl1,k2tog,psso,(yo,k1)
          twice,sl1,
          > k2tog,psso,,(k1,yo)twice. Repeat from * around, ending with k1.
          >
          > Does this mean that the first "section" contains a "yo,k1,yo" that
          the
          > other 7 sections lack? And I don't understand the direction at the
          > end to "end with k1". Is this a k1 following the (k1,yo)twice that
          > again would not be present in section 1?
          >
          > Please, if you can make sense of this question, offer me some
          guidance!

          > Thank you!

          Not to be confused, Leslie, the original directions did have the *
          after the O,k1,O, making the "ending with k1" balance which was not
          in the original and the typo that made the round 35 dreaded. Mary