new member

  • Laurel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
      I'm Laurel, known by several on the list cuz we are other lists
      together. I'm a mom of 5 homeschooled kiddos, the oldest is off at
      college, but the other 4 are home. I've knitted for eons, along with
      crochet, sew, quilt, spin, historical re-enact, etc., etc., etc.... I
      started this blanket last week after one of the girls from one of my
      other lists, showed me the website. I had basically nothing else to do
      all weekend, so I've made major progress on it. I'm past the doily
      pattern part, and into the graphed feather and fan. One change I made
      early on-- didn't read the directions clearly... I added a 5th row of
      plain knitting in between the feather and fans, so I've continued it
      all the way up. I think I'll take the blanket until the graph runs out
      before binding off, just to use up more yarn. I'm using some black
      acrylic machine knitting yarns I've had on hand, 6 strands of very
      thin stuff with size 10.5 circ needles. It will probably end up as a
      Christmas gift for one of the branches of the family. I'm thinking of
      making blankets and giving them to the whole family, and not do
      individual person gifts this year. Still will mean quite a bit of
      knitting as dh has 4 siblings and I have 3, all married with kids. So,
      if I'm really ambitious, that's at least 7 blankets to get done in the
      next 100 days or so...

      Dh and I are studying to become EMTs, so I need to get back to my
      studying. I do knit small mindless projects at times while reading.
      Working on a baby hat for charity right now. Just finished the MS3
      KAL, as seen on my blog.

      Laurel, near San Antonio, TX
      http://txjewelrylady.blogspot.com/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/38559007@N00/
    • Debbie
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
        Hi Laurel it is Debbie from Fredericksburg.  I think this lap blanket will be a fun one.  Wish I had the time to spin some yarn for this but will save that for another time and project.  This could be a multiple lap blanket project anyway.
        Welcome and see you soon.
        Oh and good luck on the new career
        Debbie Russell
        russhill@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2010
            Hi and thank you for letting me join. I've been knitting over 50 years, taught it for over 25(well, I still would if I could cuz I can't find a single knitter, or anyone who wants to learn, around this area and believe me I've tried for the past 7 years) and did it as a profession for a lot of years too. Mainly worked with disabled, extremely large and other people who just couldn't find things that they liked to wear that fit them correctly.
            Love to do lace and cables in just about anything. Just mailed off 27 shawls and stoles to a chemo center my friend started using and made a lot of pillows for the MS society to hand out. Hope they enjoy them. AM working on curtain panels right now.
            Have been looking at the Hemlock a long time but the patterns I found for it all called for a chart and thatnks to a brain problem from MS I can't see the symbols anyymore so was beginning to think it was a no-go pattern unless someone would write it down for me. Now I have the written pattern and was told there was errata for line 35. Hope to be part of the KAL coming up as I'd like to make it in several sizes from doily to afghan.
            Sandi in So Dakota
          • shirleys472003
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2010
              So happy to join your group. I saw your group when I was looking through Yahoo knitting groups. I just finished a hemlock ring blanket for my sister.