RE: [hemlockringkal] Re: New Member

  • Sandi Benward
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 21 10:16 PM

      Thank you. I thought I was going crazy. It makes sense. Thanks Sandi

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2008
        Hi all! I'm Tom from New Hope, PA. I started this blanket yesterday.

        Row 33 is confusing me too..that's as far as I got last night. One
        set of instructions says, "in next stitch k1 and p1", the other set
        of instructions i have says, "p and k in the next stitch". I guess it
        doesn't matter as long as you get two stitches out of it. But is
        one 'prettier' than the other?

        --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "blackbearie03"
        <blackbearie03@...> wrote:

        > Hi Sandy, I came upon the same problem you did. Row 33 and I'm
        > getting a total of 16 sts, instead of 17. I figured it's in the
        part
        > where it states: "in the same stitch, purl 1, knit 1" I'm doing
        > that wrong and getting only one stitch out of it total instead of
        > two. I'm going to have to rip and make it work!!
        >
        > Lori--- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Benward"
        > <cok1p1bo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi to everyone. My name is Sandi from sunny California and I am
        an
        > > yarnoholic....... oh heck wrong place..... sorry, I couldn't
        > resist.
        > >
        > > I have started this hemlock ring as a challenge from our guild.
        The
        > > patterns were given out for two different ones, one of them is
        the
        > > hemlock ring. I have gotten to around 33 or so and now nothing
        > matches.
        > > I am glad to find this group. And thank you I have d/l the charts
        > > check against what I have and see if I can get going again after
        > > comparison. I sure hope so anyway.
        > >
        > > I am knitting mine in Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted :
        CHOCOLATE.
        > > am using a #10 circular but I may go up to an #11.........
        > >
        > > Any words of wisdom and/or help..... suggestions thanks Sandi

      • iampeas
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
          Hi Tom!

          I ran into this problem too and then realized I was bringing yarn to
          front, instead of yarning over...which would put the yarn back in the
          back of my work. So on this stitch, what you actually have to do is
          yarn all the way over, then bring the yarn to the front again, in
          order to be set-up to P and then K in that one stitch.

          Hope that helps!

          Jenn

          --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "thomas_scheich"
          <thomas_scheich@...> wrote:

          > Hi all! I'm Tom from New Hope, PA. I started this blanket yesterday.
          >
          > Row 33 is confusing me too..that's as far as I got last night. One
          > set of instructions says, "in next stitch k1 and p1", the other set
          > of instructions i have says, "p and k in the next stitch". I guess it
          > doesn't matter as long as you get two stitches out of it. But is
          > one 'prettier' than the other?
          >

          > --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "blackbearie03"
          > <blackbearie03@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Sandy, I came upon the same problem you did. Row 33 and I'm
          > > getting a total of 16 sts, instead of 17. I figured it's in the
          > part
          > > where it states: "in the same stitch, purl 1, knit 1" I'm doing
          > > that wrong and getting only one stitch out of it total instead of
          > > two. I'm going to have to rip and make it work!!
          > >
          > > Lori--- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Benward"
          > > <cok1p1bo@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi to everyone. My name is Sandi from sunny California and I am
          > an
          > > > yarnoholic....... oh heck wrong place..... sorry, I couldn't
          > > resist.
          > > >
          > > > I have started this hemlock ring as a challenge from our guild.
          > The
          > > > patterns were given out for two different ones, one of them is
          > the
          > > > hemlock ring. I have gotten to around 33 or so and now nothing
          > > matches.
          > > > I am glad to find this group. And thank you I have d/l the charts
          > > > check against what I have and see if I can get going again after
          > > > comparison. I sure hope so anyway.
          > > >
          > > > I am knitting mine in Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted :
          > CHOCOLATE.
          > > > am using a #10 circular but I may go up to an #11.........
          > > >
          > > > Any words of wisdom and/or help..... suggestions thanks Sandi

        • coastomaineknitter
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 27, 2010
            Hello. Just started yesterday but have had the pattern for months. Since I just finished a sweater in Ecology wool & had a full skein +a large ball leftover, the time seems right. I'm past the dreaded 14th row(no problem) but 3 rows in I'm not getting the correct number. Since I generally have fits & starts with ALL my projects, this is just "a learning opportunity" & I'll probably start again this afternoon....better than wonky stitches haunting me later.

            This is going to be inplace of the birthday afghan for my DS's birthady in January, Originally, I'd gotten 3/4th done on a self designed afghan in natural fisherman's yarn. This was for his 25th birthday. He was "polite" about the color, and so it languishes. Now he has a "lady in his life" who has brought him to senses ( AND is new to knitting!), so for his 35th he will get a Hemlock Ring.
            Betsey in Maine
          • fretnmore
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 27, 2010
              Hi,

              I'm also new and figured since I am about half way done with my first hemlock I figured it was time to introduce myself. I tried getting started with a sock weight yarn and gave up after a couple of fits and rip outs. Went to a DK weight and sailed through it. I think I was getting things twisted somehow in the sock weight. So maybe it will go better after finishing this.  My only worry now is how to block this hummer. It feels like it is going to be HUGE! I'm not sure I have enough room anywhere to actually block it. I may have to check into using the top of the pool table (which no one uses much now that the kids have their own homes).  Anybody want to buy a pool table?

              --
              Pat Lupori
              Tri Wolf Studios