Estended pattern's yarn requirement

  • tricoquelicot
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2008
      Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
      here too.

      I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
      wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and I
      have a question.
      I have one more skein as Jaredfs instruction, but looks I won't use
      up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
      table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
      and am going more than 87, but I donft know I can go how far from
      here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made this
      with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
      extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with this
      yarn limitation.
      Thanks!
    • Jeri B
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
        What size needle are you using?  Another knitter's results would be more applicable to your situation if you're using the same size needle.  And do you generally knit loose or tight?

        Also remember that the size will increase, perhaps dramatically, when you block.

        I can tell you how to calculate how much yarn you'll need for the border if you have an accurate gram scale and you're interested in some swatching.  Let me know.

        Jeri

        On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:15 AM, tricoquelicot <tricoquelicot@...> wrote:

        Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
        here too.

        I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
        wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and I
        have a question.
        I have one more skein as Jared fs instruction, but looks I won't use
        up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
        table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
        and am going more than 87, but I don ft know I can go how far from
        here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made this
        with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
        extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with this
        yarn limitation.
        Thanks!

      • Sara Spalding (Williams)
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
          i knit to the end of jared's chart with 2 balls of eco wool.  i had a small ball left over - i didn't measure it, but it was about 2-3 inches in diameter.  probably not enough to do another pattern repeat.  (i'm saraspalding on ravelry if you want to look at pictures of my FO.)

          Sara

          On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM, tricoquelicot <tricoquelicot@...> wrote:

          Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
          here too.

          I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
          wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and I
          have a question.
          I have one more skein as Jared fs instruction, but looks I won't use
          up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
          table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
          and am going more than 87, but I don ft know I can go how far from
          here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made this
          with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
          extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with this
          yarn limitation.
          Thanks!

        • Mcnichol, Rebekah Ms DoD Ben
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
            I also just completed an Eco wool one with 2 balls. I went to the
            orange line. Those last repeats take a lot of yarn and the final bind
            off is about 2 rounds worth of yarn. I used size 10-1/2 needles. It
            was larger than the couch futon that I used for blocking. I totally
            could have pulled it larger, but not without re-arranging the house
            for cleared floor space.

            --Rebekah
          • tricoquelicot
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
              Hi, Thank you for your reply. I use US 10/6mm needle addi 100cm
              circular.
              What I am worrying now is that today I reached row 83 so just 4-5
              rows to go, but I am YET knitting with first ball....I knit neither
              tight nor loose I believe, and the looks of the blanket is somehow
              normal, but...weird. What happens to my blanket?? The gauge is
              approx. 4 stitch/inch, like as Jared's.
              Did I make big mistake??

              --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Jeri B" <soapquiltknit@...>
              wrote:

              > What size needle are you using? Another knitter's results would be
              more
              > applicable to your situation if you're using the same size needle.
              And do
              > you generally knit loose or tight?
              >
              > Also remember that the size will increase, perhaps dramatically,
              when you
              > block.
              >
              > I can tell you how to calculate how much yarn you'll need for the
              border if
              > you have an accurate gram scale and you're interested in some
              swatching.
              > Let me know.
              >
              > Jeri
              >
              > On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:15 AM, tricoquelicot <tricoquelicot@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I
              post
              > > here too.
              > >
              > > I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use
              eco
              > > wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end,
              and I
              > > have a question.
              > > I have one more skein as Jared fs instruction, but looks I won't
              use
              > > up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
              > > table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it
              bigger
              > > and am going more than 87, but I don ft know I can go how far from
              > > here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made
              this
              > > with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
              > > extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with
              this
              > > yarn limitation.
              > > Thanks!

            • tricoquelicot
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
                Looking at the chart, I UNDERSTAND! I just forgot that Jared's chart
                doesn't finish at row 87. Original row 87 means row 55 of Jared's??
                But, even if it is so, yet I am now around row 51 of Jared's and with
                first ball...

                Jun

                --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "tricoquelicot"
                <tricoquelicot@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
                > here too.
                >
                > I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
                > wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and
                > have a question.
                > I have one more skein as Jaredfs instruction, but looks I won't
                use
                > up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
                > table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
                > and am going more than 87, but I donft know I can go how far from
                > here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made
                this
                > with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
                > extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with
                this
                > yarn limitation.
                > Thanks!

              • Karen Schneider
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008

                  In answer to the Extended Patterns Yarn Requirement:

                  I have made 3 Hemlock Ring blankets, and I’m on my 4th (they will be Christmas gifts!!).

                  I used Eco Wool on each one, and my needle size is 8. I knit kind of loose.

                  I knit out to 121 rows (if you count Jared’s that Jared’s chart started on row 47), or the other way to look at it is I knit out to row 75 (if you count it out that Jared’s chart re-starts at row #1).

                  EITHER WAY you count the chart rows, it came to 600 stitches on the needles.

                  And don’t forget that after you do the last row of decreases and yarn-overs (counted as either row 117 or row 71) you still need to knit 4 more basic knit rows, and then do the edging.

                  I did the scalloped knit edge, which eats up a lot of yardage.

                  All this being said, I was left with a very small ball of yarn after using 2 skeins of the Eco Wool, but I made it!!

                  Karen Schneider

                • tricoquelicot
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
                    Thank you so much for your reply. You are Hemlock pro!
                    So I want to follow you...I do have a bit of concerns that the needle
                    size is different, but I want to try until row 121 and 600sts.
                    Wish me luck!!!

                    Jun
                    --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Schneider"
                    <aprilfool@...> wrote:

                    > In answer to the Extended Patterns Yarn Requirement:
                    >
                    > I have made 3 Hemlock Ring blankets, and I'm on my 4th (they will be
                    > Christmas gifts!!).
                    >
                    > I used Eco Wool on each one, and my needle size is 8. I knit kind
                    of loose.

                    > I knit out to 121 rows (if you count Jared's that Jared's chart
                    started on
                    > row 47), or the other way to look at it is I knit out to row 75 (if
                    you
                    > count it out that Jared's chart re-starts at row #1).
                    >
                    > EITHER WAY you count the chart rows, it came to 600 stitches on the
                    needles.

                    > And don't forget that after you do the last row of decreases and
                    yarn-overs
                    > (counted as either row 117 or row 71) you still need to knit 4 more
                    basic
                    > knit rows, and then do the edging.
                    >
                    > I did the scalloped knit edge, which eats up a lot of yardage.
                    >
                    > All this being said, I was left with a very small ball of yarn
                    after using 2
                    > skeins of the Eco Wool, but I made it!!
                    >

                    > Karen Schneider

                  • tricoquelicot
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 1, 2008
                      I just want to tell you all thank you, to those who sent messages to
                      my post. thanks to you all I can go ahead now!!

                      <tricoquelicot@...> wrote:

                      > Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
                      > here too.
                      >
                      > I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
                      > wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and
                      > have a question.
                      > I have one more skein as Jaredfs instruction, but looks I won't
                      use
                      > up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
                      > table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
                      > and am going more than 87, but I donft know I can go how far from
                      > here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made
                      this
                      > with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
                      > extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with
                      this
                      > yarn limitation.
                      > Thanks!

                    • allnightmedia
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 12, 2008
                        Hello,

                        I knitted the hemlock in eco wool using size US 10's. I extended the
                        pattern and went up to row 131 plus the four rows of knit and the bind
                        off. You have to be really careful once you get to the final rows. It
                        takes up a load of yarn. Also, the bind off is takes a HUGE amt as
                        well. It is not a normal bind off and it took me over four hours to do
                        it. All in all my hemlock measured about five feet. I used about 2
                        1/3 hanks total.

                        Here is the link that we are on and feel free to come visit us and say
                        hello and where you came from. There aren't quite as many members, but
                        everyone is very friendly, helpful and hooked on doilies as blankets.

                        Also, there are a few other KAL's that we are doing in different lace
                        doilies as blankets.

                        One last thing, if anyone would like a full complete written out
                        version (hate charts)of the Hemlock Ring revised to Jared's directions,
                        please click here and look for post 239. I have done it in a PDF and
                        every row and corrections have been added.

                        Take care,

                        Gino
                        dudewithsticks@...

                        <tricoquelicot@...> wrote:

                        > Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
                        > here too.
                        >
                        > I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
                        > wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and I
                        > have a question.
                        > I have one more skein as Jaredfs instruction, but looks I won't use
                        > up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
                        > table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
                        > and am going more than 87, but I donft know I can go how far from
                        > here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made this
                        > with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
                        > extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with this
                        > yarn limitation.
                        > Thanks!

                      • n ramsey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 12, 2008
                          What link?Nancy

                          dudewithsticks@ gmail.com

                          <tricoquelicot@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
                          > here too.
                          >
                          > I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
                          > wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and I
                          > have a question.
                          > I have one more skein as Jared�fs instruction, but looks I won't use
                          > up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
                          > table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
                          > and am going more than 87, but I don�ft know I can go how far from
                          > here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made this
                          > with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
                          > extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with this
                          > yarn limitation.
                          > Thanks!

                        • Jeri B
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 14, 2008
                            Your link didn't come through?

                            Jeri

                            On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM, allnightmedia <dudewithsticks@...> wrote:
                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > I knitted the hemlock in eco wool using size US 10's. I extended the
                            > pattern and went up to row 131 plus the four rows of knit and the bind
                            > off. You have to be really careful once you get to the final rows. It
                            > takes up a load of yarn. Also, the bind off is takes a HUGE amt as
                            > well. It is not a normal bind off and it took me over four hours to do
                            > it. All in all my hemlock measured about five feet. I used about 2
                            > 1/3 hanks total.
                            >
                            > Here is the link that we are on and feel free to come visit us and say
                            > hello and where you came from. There aren't quite as many members, but
                            > everyone is very friendly, helpful and hooked on doilies as blankets.
                            >
                            > Also, there are a few other KAL's that we are doing in different lace
                            > doilies as blankets.
                            >
                            > One last thing, if anyone would like a full complete written out
                            > version (hate charts)of the Hemlock Ring revised to Jared's directions,
                            > please click here and look for post 239. I have done it in a PDF and
                            > every row and corrections have been added.
                            >
                            > Take care,
                            >
                            > Gino
                            > dudewithsticks@...
                            >
                            > --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "tricoquelicot"
                            > <tricoquelicot@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Hi everyone, I post same question at Ravelry KAL but again, I post
                            >> here too.
                            >>
                            >> I am knitting this Hemlock with Eco wool, and now row 78. I use eco
                            >> wool and it is fabulous, now the first skein is heading to end, and I
                            >> have a question.
                            >> I have one more skein as Jared fs instruction, but looks I won't use
                            >> up at row 87. Besides, I am knitting this to offer MIL as a winter
                            >> table cloth for her round table in living room. So I want it bigger
                            >> and am going more than 87, but I don ft know I can go how far from
                            >> here, with two skeins of eco wool in total. Does anyone who made this
                            >> with two skeins of eco wool and bigger than 87 rows? I've got an
                            >> extended chart here, but I need to know when I should stop with this
                            >> yarn limitation.
                            >> Thanks!

                          • Liza
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 14, 2008
                              Hi Jeri - I didn't ge tthe link either ~ would you mind sending it again,
                              please.
                              Many thanks,
                              bionicbodger in sunny (at last) W France...

                              wrote:

                              > Your link didn't come through?
                              >
                              > Jeri

                            • Beverly
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 14, 2008
                                Hello all,

                                I'm looking for the link to Gino's PDF and cannot find it (can't
                                figure out how to find post 239 either. Please help!

                                Thanks in advance,
                                Bev

                                > > One last thing, if anyone would like a full complete written out
                                > > version (hate charts)of the Hemlock Ring revised to Jared's
                                directions,
                                > > please click here and look for post 239. I have done it in a PDF
                                and
                                > > every row and corrections have been added.
                                > >
                                > > Take care,
                                > >
                                > > Gino
                                > > dudewithsticks@...

                              • Jeri B
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 15, 2008
                                  Sorry, I don't have a link to provide. It was Gino at
                                  dudewithsticks@... who posted a message with a reference to a
                                  link. Gino, do you have a link for us?

                                  Jeri

                                  On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Liza <lizaixi@...> wrote:
                                  > Hi Jeri - I didn't ge tthe link either ~ would you mind sending it again,
                                  > please.
                                  > Many thanks,
                                  > bionicbodger in sunny (at last) W France...
                                  >
                                  > --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "Jeri B" <soapquiltknit@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Your link didn't come through?
                                  >>
                                  >> Jeri

                                • allnightmedia
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 15, 2008
                                    Hi Jeri and All,

                                    I am sooooooooooo sorry that I didn't post the link. Major brain
                                    fart.

                                    Here is the link to the pdf...

                                    http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78142

                                    If the link doesn't work, please just go to www.knittinghelp.com and
                                    search the forums for KAL and look for the invitation to the hemlock
                                    ring knit along. Please let me know if it works and everyone is able
                                    to access it.

                                    Take care,

                                    Gino