Re: [hemlockringkal] Re: flying with kniting needles

  • Sara Spalding (Williams)
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 11 9:10 AM
      I've never had any trouble on domestic flights with my knitting.  I don't bring my scissors, though.

      Sara

      On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Dee Medley <dmedley@...> wrote:

      I've never had them question my knitting needles and I hope that
      continues through this week! I'm off to the Left Coast and I will have
      massively boring, long flights if I can't switch between my book on
      paper and my book in my Zen with knitting.
      Dee

    • Katie Swick
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 11 10:38 AM
        Knitting Needles and Crochet Hooks are specifically allowed by the TSA - They are actually named as allowed "personal items".

        --
        www.yarnlove.com
      • lois@loisaronow.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 11 12:54 PM
          I flew over christmas.  no one said anything about my addi turbos or my nail clippers.  Or my tapestry needle, come to think of it.

          i did get wanded and frisked because the underwire in my bra set off the thing.

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 11 2:38 PM
            I think the lesson is that it depends where you are and where you're
            flying to. I've not been able to fly out of the UK with knitting
            needles since 2001. I gather that flights back out of other countries
            are more lenient but it depends on your airline - KLM doesn't seem to
            like any needles including Denises - although they're quite happy with
            fountain pens which are longer, sharper and carrying fluid. Go figure...

            Anyone in Canada, and anyone flown there from the UK? I'm hoping to
            visit Montreal and Toronto in May, and would reallyreally like to knit
            on the plane! I'm currently trying to choose between flying Thomas Cook
            and Transat and the carrying-needles thing genuinely makes a difference
            as to which airline I choose! I may just board the plane with my 5",
            2mm wooden sock needles, which are always in my bag anyway...

            Liz
            (including my blog address blacklists my posts and I don't think we have
            a listmom any more to fetch them out of the spam bucket, but I'm
            knittingonthegreen dot blogspot dot com)
          • happygirl0223
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 11 2:40 PM
              I always make sure they're on a project and in a ziploc bag and I've
              never had a problem. I put my circular thread cutter on a chain and
              wear it as a necklace and no one noticed.

              --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, AR <annirod@...> wrote:

              > I fly regularly with knitting needles, and as long as I have had
              them in a project they never have even commented on them! I fly
              Southwest almost exclusively, so I don't know about other airlines. I
              never make any mention of it and they never addressed it!

              > I flew with plastic or bamboo for a while, but now I am confident
              enough to fly with Addi's or Knit Picks! Maybe they are more
              concerned about how a knitter in withdrawal might act! (I do put my
              extra, just in case needles, in my luggage)

              > Someone suggested taking an envelope with enough postage to mail
              them to yourself (either where you are going or back to home) but I
              never remember to do that!

            • aclement01@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 12 9:26 AM
                In January, 2006 I flew into and out of Heathrow, London with 2 pairs of socks on US0 DPN's. The only comments I got were from the flight attendants who wanted to see what I was knitting. I flew American. Soon I will make the trip again but on Continental.

                Anne

                << I think the lesson is that it depends where you are and where you're
                flying to.  I've not been able to fly out of the UK with knitting
                needles since 2001.  I gather that flights back out of other countries
                are more lenient but it depends on your airline - KLM doesn't seem to
                like any needles including Denises - although they're quite happy with
                fountain pens which are longer, sharper and carrying fluid.  Go figure... >>

                AOL isn't free when they charge $10 a mo. for help

              • Katie Swick

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 12 12:21 PM
                    But don't try to knit while flying in Australia.  David Reidy of Stitcks and Strings podcast talked about it a few weeks ago.

                    Jeri

                  • Angie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 12 12:28 PM
                      I have a friend who is a flight attendant (and avid knitter/crocheter) for AA and she says you're most likely to run into trouble when flying abroad.  She suggests checking with the airline first before bringing anything on with you.