Re: [hemlockringkal] Casting On!

  • Jenny Massey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008
      OK - my "sage advice"

      USE THE CRAFTTOWN PATTERN.

      Put in Stitchmarkers - Be religious about these.  It will make your life 10 million trillion times easier

      Count, Count, Count - If you don't have a stitch count by repeat or by row, do the math - it really helps.  You'll know sooner rather than later if you are off track.

      TINK, don't rip.  Unless you are at the beginning.  Ripping this can be really dangerous due to the yarn overs and decreases.

      Row 35 gets everyone!  Be careful.  It is correct on the Crafttown pattern.
      *YO, K1, YO, Sl1, K2tog, psso, YO, K4, YO, Sl1, K2tog, psso, YO, K1, YO, K1, Sl1, K2tog, psso, K1; Repeat from *

      There is an error in the Crafttown pattern on Row 97
      The correct pattern for Row 97 is: (YO, K1) 10x, K1, (SL, K, PSSO) 8x, (K2tog) 8x, K2, (YO, K1) 10X
      I did my both blankets on one circulars.  So the center can be done that way, if you know magic loop.  WAY EASY.  I have interchangable needles and was able to change out wire sizes that way, but I eventually went all the way up to 60" circulars.

      If things just seem to be going bad - Do the math, and if your math is correct, then have a friend read the pattern to you stitch by stitch.  (they don't have to know knit-speak - just be able to say k1, k2tog etc...).  Believe it or not, this really saved me on row 37 or somewhere around in that area.  I tinked that row about 5 times before I asked a friend to do that and it came out PERFECT!  Reward your friend with many thanks and treats - especially if this is near the end or used often.

      This is a big project.  Enjoy it - take your time.  And truth be told, its not terribly complicated.  But, when you come to a complicated section. Don't be afraid to tell people to shut up or to leave you along.  Or to be nice, take yourself away from people when possible.

      Jenny's Motto "Knitting is fun!  The only tension should be in the yarn."

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008
        Hi Bill,

        About casting on using circular needle rather than double points, I don't think that's an
        option. You're starting out with only 8 sts, and I think dps (or 2 circs) are the only way to
        get 8 sts into a ring/circle. The start is going to be a bit wobbly and fumbly, and you may
        have to try it several times before you're happy. I started my project using an i-cord of 8
        stitches (scrap yarn) so I'd have something to hold on to and some stitches to start knitting
        into rather that using a traditional cast on. I made a short length of icord, maybe an inch,
        using dps, then started knitting with my main yarn. On the first row of stitches with my
        main yarn, I ran a life line. After I had knitted a few rows of the pattern, I then removed
        the icord, put a needle on the end of the main yarn, and ran that yarn through the
        beginning 8 stitches (twice around is probably better), pulled the yarn tight to close the
        ring of stitches, then fastened off the yarn.

        I found a very similar method a couple days ago on the internet that someone called the
        "belly button" start. She had nice photos, also, so do a Google search and check out that
        method as well.

        And another note in regard to the suggestion to use the Craftown pattern - that's a good
        suggestion. However, there is more than one version of the Craftown pattern! The one at
        the website is not the same as the one in our Files database. Use the one in Files in this
        group. After you knit enough rows that you can use the "definitive" chart, compare the
        chart and the Craftown pattern as you go, and any subsequent errors should be readily
        apparent.

        Marilyn

      • WJBDineen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008
          Jenny,

          THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!  That is just the kind of advice I was hoping might come out of the post.

          Headed to my KTog now!

          Bill Dineen

          Sent remotely from my iPhone. Responses may be brief.

          On Jan 11, 2008, at 11:43, Jenny Massey <emjayknits@...> wrote:

[...]

          www.soapquiltknit. blogspot. com

        • Michelle & Ken Balmert
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008

            I too am getting ready to cast on!  I’m going to do the KAL with the WEBS (www.yarn.com) website.  They are doing it on their podcast starting next weekend I think.  I have my yarn and ordered some harmony wood tips for my options for it! Getting anxious to start!

            Bill I know what you mean by the sleeplessness of starting! I always dream/think about a new project when getting ready to start a project..this one has been on my mind!!

            Yay! Thanks for the awesome charts and tips everyone!

            Michelle in Ohio

            www.funwithquilting.typepad.com

            • WJBDineen@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 12, 2008
                Marilyn,

                THANK YOU for your e-mail.  I am very intrigued by your cast on method.  It sounds wonderful!

                I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to my request.

                Many thnaks,

                Bill Dineen

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 12, 2008
                  It should be in the files section of the yahoo group.  If not, let me know and I think I have it on my puter.