Re: [hemlockringkal] casting on method

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      Here's a link to the cast on.  It's wonderful and works like a charm.

      Debbie

      Life's too short to knit with ugly yarn.

    • garlicginger@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
        My problem wasn't really doing the cast-on. My problem was handling the wobbly DPNs with only a few stitches on each one. I finally set up a folded towel with the needles lying on it. I used each one with them resting on the towel. After using one, I rotated the towel to 'bring up' the next one to be knit. A little unorthodox, but it worked for me. By the time I was ready to do the 9 stitches in 1, I switched to a circular. I'm much happier now.

        --
        Karolyn in Sacramento where my hubby is taking me out to dinner - couldn't possibly find time to cook with all this delicious knitting to do!!
        From: "Debbie" <barisad@...>
        > Here's a link to the cast on. It's wonderful and works like a charm.
        >
        > http://www.spellingtuesday.com/circular_co.html
        >

        > Debbie
        >
        > barisad@...
        >
        > Life's too short to knit with ugly yarn.
        >
        > http://photos.yahoo.com/barisad
        >
        > http://community.webshots.com/user/barisad
      • Toni Gomez
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
          Message
          Karolyn..that was my issue totally!!
          The big needles with 2-3 stitches.. but yep..
          it is doable..and most of all.. fun!!

          Sing your song, dance your dance, tell your tale.
          Frank McCourt

          From: "Debbie" <barisad@fairpoint. net>
          > Here's a link to the cast on. It's wonderful and works like a charm.
          >
          > http://www.spelling tuesday.com/ circular_ co.html
          >

          > Debbie
          >
          > barisad@fairpoint. net
          >
          > Life's too short to knit with ugly yarn.
          >
          > http://photos. yahoo.com/ barisad
          >
          > http://community. webshots. com/user/ barisad

        • DonnaC
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
            --- In hemlockringkal@yahoogroups.com, "knitwit720" <knitwit720@...>
            wrote:

            > Does any particular cast-on method help achieve the tight center
            > desired? I haven't knitted anything in the round that has such a small
            > start before.

            I am using size 9 circs and I cast on with size 8 dpns because I tend
            to have a loose cast on in the round with things like hats from the
            top down. The #8s made the whole operation a lot tighter and then I
            went up to my #9s at row 3. I switched to my cirs at about row 10.
            BTW, I'm being a purist on this blanket since I was so swept away by
            Jared's - I'm using Cascade Eco Wool in latte.
          • Suzan
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
              Look on the group web site in the database for links to two cast ons that will make the hole in the middle tight like a little navel.

              There's also information there on needles.

              Suzan