Re: [helpwithvb] Running Visual Basic In Windows 7

  • John Smiley
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2012
      Hi Cliff

      Here's a link to setting up a Windows Virtual PC in Windows 7.

      http://www.howtogeek.com/56158/beginner-how-to-create-a-virtual-machin
      e-in-windows-7-using-virtual-pc/

      Ed (in another post) indicated you need Windows 7 Pro.

      Once you have the Virtual Machine installed and configured (that's
      not hard) you just install VB6 using that Virtual Window.

      It may sound tricky, but it's really easy for running your older
      applications.

      As Ed says, his VB6 applications run fine on Windows 7 as do mine.

      Hope this helps.

      John Smiley

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2012
        On 3/09/2012 11:31, Limey wrote:
        > I recently purchased a new laptop that runs Windows 7.
        >
        > Most of my Visual Basic programs that run perfectly on my older Machine
        > running XP will not run on the laptop. I also cannot create an Exec on
        > programs that I create on the laptop.

        I have found it is not necessary to use a virtual PC. VB6 will install fine on Windows 7 but there is a trick to it.

        You need to browse the CD in explorer. Avoid the autorun, and run setup.exe directly.

        Once installed, you need to modify the properties of the shortcut. On the "compatibility" tab, check the box labelled "always run as administrator".

        This step is necessary because the VB6 IDE attempts to modify the registry each time it is run.

        As for running your compiled applications, it is a lot easier to run the application that already has the development environment installed.

        When it comes to running compiled applications on other people's computers, there are lot of issues that come into play.

        Do your applications need to talk to an external database? Are there drivers associated with that database that need to be installed? Does your application attempt to save files outside of the user's home directory (thus requiring elevated permissions)? Does your application rely on third-party components that need to be installed on the user's PC?

        Adelle.
      • John Smiley
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2012
          Thanks Adelle!

          >> I recently purchased a new laptop that runs Windows 7.
          >>
          >> Most of my Visual Basic programs that run perfectly on my older
          >Machine
          >> running XP will not run on the laptop. I also cannot create an Exec
          >on
          >> programs that I create on the laptop.
          >
          >I have found it is not necessary to use a virtual PC. VB6 will
          >install fine on Windows 7 but there is a trick to it.
          >
          >You need to browse the CD in explorer. Avoid the autorun, and run
          >setup.exe directly.
          >
          >Once installed, you need to modify the properties of the shortcut.
          >On the "compatibility" tab, check the box labelled "always run as
          >administrator".
          >
          >This step is necessary because the VB6 IDE attempts to modify the
          >registry each time it is run.
          >
          >As for running your compiled applications, it is a lot easier to run
          >the application that already has the development environment
          >installed.
          >
          >When it comes to running compiled applications on other people's
          >computers, there are lot of issues that come into play.
          >
          >Do your applications need to talk to an external database? Are there
          >drivers associated with that database that need to be installed?
          >Does your application attempt to save files outside of the user's
          >home directory (thus requiring elevated permissions)? Does your
          >application rely on third-party components that need to be installed
          >on the user's PC?
          >
          >Adelle.

          http://www.johnsmiley.com
          http://www.facebook.com/johndsmiley

          Author of 14 books on Computer Programming and moving into other
          areas...

          Check out my latest book

          The Complete Book Of Stairclimbing
          http://www.johnsmiley.com/main/stairs.htm