RE: [helpwithvb] Running Visual Basic In Windows 7

  • edward.myerson@gardnerdenver.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2012
      I program in the virtual machine with VB 6 with 2 of the 8 gb of the ram in
      the computer

      The second computer set up the same way also has 2gb or ram running the
      virtual machine

      You need window 7 Pro to do it

      You also need a complete set up for the Virtual machine including the virus
      software and any other software such as office

      The programs that you write will load and run on windows 7, at least that
      is my experience

      Ed Myerson
      Vacuum Products
      Application Engineer
      Elmo Rietschle
      edward.myerson@...
      Cell (412) 759 9492

      From: "John Smiley" <john.smiley@...>
      To: helpwithvb@yahoogroups.com
      Date: 09/03/2012 05:19 PM
      Subject: RE: [helpwithvb] Running Visual Basic In Windows 7
      Sent by: helpwithvb@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Cliff

      Do you mean Visual Basic 6 programs?

      I have a few VB6 executables that run on my Windows 7 PC.

      As far as VB6, I have it installed in a Virtual Windows XP window.

      If you have enough RAM, you should be able to do that, and still
      create VB6 programs.

      John Smiley

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2012
        Hi Cliff

        Here's a link to setting up a Windows Virtual PC in Windows 7.

        http://www.howtogeek.com/56158/beginner-how-to-create-a-virtual-machin
        e-in-windows-7-using-virtual-pc/

        Ed (in another post) indicated you need Windows 7 Pro.

        Once you have the Virtual Machine installed and configured (that's
        not hard) you just install VB6 using that Virtual Window.

        It may sound tricky, but it's really easy for running your older
        applications.

        As Ed says, his VB6 applications run fine on Windows 7 as do mine.

        Hope this helps.

        John Smiley

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2012
          On 3/09/2012 11:31, Limey wrote:
          > I recently purchased a new laptop that runs Windows 7.
          >
          > Most of my Visual Basic programs that run perfectly on my older Machine
          > running XP will not run on the laptop. I also cannot create an Exec on
          > programs that I create on the laptop.

          I have found it is not necessary to use a virtual PC. VB6 will install fine on Windows 7 but there is a trick to it.

          You need to browse the CD in explorer. Avoid the autorun, and run setup.exe directly.

          Once installed, you need to modify the properties of the shortcut. On the "compatibility" tab, check the box labelled "always run as administrator".

          This step is necessary because the VB6 IDE attempts to modify the registry each time it is run.

          As for running your compiled applications, it is a lot easier to run the application that already has the development environment installed.

          When it comes to running compiled applications on other people's computers, there are lot of issues that come into play.

          Do your applications need to talk to an external database? Are there drivers associated with that database that need to be installed? Does your application attempt to save files outside of the user's home directory (thus requiring elevated permissions)? Does your application rely on third-party components that need to be installed on the user's PC?

          Adelle.
        • John Smiley
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2012
            Thanks Adelle!

            >> I recently purchased a new laptop that runs Windows 7.
            >>
            >> Most of my Visual Basic programs that run perfectly on my older
            >Machine
            >> running XP will not run on the laptop. I also cannot create an Exec
            >on
            >> programs that I create on the laptop.
            >
            >I have found it is not necessary to use a virtual PC. VB6 will
            >install fine on Windows 7 but there is a trick to it.
            >
            >You need to browse the CD in explorer. Avoid the autorun, and run
            >setup.exe directly.
            >
            >Once installed, you need to modify the properties of the shortcut.
            >On the "compatibility" tab, check the box labelled "always run as
            >administrator".
            >
            >This step is necessary because the VB6 IDE attempts to modify the
            >registry each time it is run.
            >
            >As for running your compiled applications, it is a lot easier to run
            >the application that already has the development environment
            >installed.
            >
            >When it comes to running compiled applications on other people's
            >computers, there are lot of issues that come into play.
            >
            >Do your applications need to talk to an external database? Are there
            >drivers associated with that database that need to be installed?
            >Does your application attempt to save files outside of the user's
            >home directory (thus requiring elevated permissions)? Does your
            >application rely on third-party components that need to be installed
            >on the user's PC?
            >
            >Adelle.

            http://www.johnsmiley.com
            http://www.facebook.com/johndsmiley

            Author of 14 books on Computer Programming and moving into other
            areas...

            Check out my latest book

            The Complete Book Of Stairclimbing
            http://www.johnsmiley.com/main/stairs.htm