Slate Desktop machine translation

  • Hans List
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 26, 2015
      Anyone interested in running Moses MT on his PC, with minimal configuration effort and training it with his own TMX files?

      Pay $330.00 now, get the software in January 2015:

      Fundraising/marketing Campaign:

    • Pascal Ladalle
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 27, 2015
        Moses is free, Slate v1 is $50, Slate v2 is $330, how much will v3 cost?

        We used to buy software before we could even try them, now we can buy them before they're even coded... I'm impressed!
        All the more impressed when I read that in fact, this money-raising campaign isn't even necessary:
        We’re not using this campaign to raise money for product development. We have those resources.

        It really is just a blind-purchase opportunity (refunds not accepted, obviously).

        Thanks but no thanks, Hans.

        Le Dimanche 27 septembre 2015 8h50, "Hans List hans.list@... [help_]" <help_@yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

        Anyone interested in running Moses MT on his PC, with minimal configuration effort and training it with his own TMX files?

        Pay $330.00 now, get the software in January 2015:

        Fundraising/marketing Campaign:

      • listhans
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 27, 2015
          >We used to buy software before we could even try them, now we can buy them before they're even coded... I'm impressed!

          This is not that uncommon. I also bought an early bird license for Studio 2015, for instance.

          >It really is just a blind-purchase opportunity (refunds not accepted, obviously).

          There is one refund offered: if they don't reach the USD 6500 limit.

          I wouldn't be surprised if they use this campaign to show CAT tool developers that there does exist some interest in the market. After all, they will have to support the plug-in (connector) that is required to use the "interactive" modus of Slate Desktop in your favourite CAT tool (you can also use the "not interactive" mode, by creating a TMX file first).

          Anyway, I'd like to explore the current quality of MT using my own old translations. I don't have the technical knowledge to set up my own Moses system (I have better things to do in my free time ;) ). And I don't want to invest in learning to do so. I find the EUR 294 acceptable for this experiment. I pay amounts like that just to update some CAT tools that I only use for QA-ing work that I've done in CafeTran.
        • michaelbeijer
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 27, 2015
            For what it's worth, I am also one of the people who decided to get in early (I requested a CafeTran connector), as I think the project is very interesting and has great potential. I'd rather spend €300 on Slate Desktop, than on yet another CAT tool just to keep up with the Joneses.

            Michael
          • Hans van den Broek
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 27, 2015
              I think it's a waste of time and money, especially if you use a CAT tool that already implements a number of MT technologies, like DejaVu and CafeTran.

              • It's a waste of money, because Moses on which Slate Desktop is based is free. If you use Moses, you'll only waste time, lots of it (and yes, probably more than when you use Slate). € 330 (550 later?) is quite a lot of money for an app that doesn't offer much more than a GUI.
              • It's quite likely more waste of money because of the hardware requirements. 1.7 million segments would require 16 GB of RAM and 500 GB of disk space, and 1.7 million segments is just about nothing in this area
              • Those hardware requirements are quite likely an indication of how long it will take to process a document. Waste of time
              • That document will result in a translation. One. Take it or leave it. Or rather, edit it or leave it. And I think leave it is the preferred option
              • As mentioned before, you buy something without being able to test it. That's why I have to use "I think" all the time, which isn't a good sign

              In other words, it may be a good investment for people who still use Trados under Windows.

              Cheers,

              Hans

              --
              Hans van den Broek
              Schrijf-, vertaal- en redigeerwerk
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 28, 2015
                We shall see who has the last laugh, in good time.

                Michael
              • tahoar
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 28, 2015
                  Hi, I head the company making Slate Desktop. I offer these corrections:
                  • Moses: free open source toolkit (for translators with MT hobbyist skills)
                  • Slate v1: free open source toolkit, parallel Moses repository with full share C++ code to up-stream Moses (for translators with MT hobbyist skills)
                  • Slate v1: $50 open source toolkit with Windows and/or Linux binaries precompiled for convenience
                  • Slate Desktop v1: $550 GUI desktop application with Slate kernel, connectors for CATs, Indiegogo 40% pre-launch discount price $330 (for translators without MT hobbyist skills)
                  • ProMT Expert 10: $990 with built-in CAT-like GUI application, no connectors to external CATs
                  • SYSTRAN 7 Premium Translator: $960 with built-in CAT-like application, no connectors to external CATs.
                  Indiegogo refunds all contributions if we do not reach our funding goal.

                  Hans, you might want to checkout the newest Perk. For $10 you receive a $100 rebate voucher good towards the purchase of Slate Desktop through Dec 31, 2016.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 28, 2015
                    On 9/28/15 16:29, michael@... [help_] wrote:
                     We shall see who has the last laugh, in good time.
                    I don't think it matters. If it's great, I'll have to set up Moses, and about a year ago, I voted against it.
                    Cheers,

                    Hans

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 28, 2015
                      Hi Hans,

                      For sake of reducing duplication, I link two discussions below with Q&A that address your points.

                      Briefly for here, your technical points about corpus size and hardware requirements are accurate for an application designed for many users to share across a variety of job requirements via the Cloud. The performance characteristics of these applications are well-documented. A Windows, Mac and Linux desktop environments offer opportunities for new designs with new performance characteristics.

                      I'm not clear about your point, "Those hardware requirements are quite likely an indication of how long it will take to process a document. Waste of time." We have customers today using our Linux DoMT products with Moses release 1 who have bench-marked one machine's production rate at 5 million words per day. That's almost 3,500 words per minute, or about 140 25-word sentences per minute.

                      The internal combustion engine was designed to power commercial drilling (petroleum) in the mid 1850's. By the 1870's, a new mobile environment drove new designs. By the 1880's, Karl Benz was mounting internal combustion engines to power the radically new concept, the automobile. Today, people deploy internal combustion engines in countless environments from portable generators to fast race cars.

                      Bottom line, Moses is like the internal combustion engine in that it's a component of a larger system. The system design drives performance, of course within the limits of its components, including Moses. Here's what one Moses user (not Slate or Slate Desktop) said about his personal experience with the Moses system he built:

                      Patrick (Spanish to English) ProZ.com discussion:

                      There is definitely a need for a native Windows-based, off-the-shelf solution like yours. When it comes to the use of MT by human translators, we should be using our own private resources on our own machines, to make highly specialized MT models. In my experience, the best and most productivity-enhancing MT engines are domain-specific and even client-specific. A highly qualified human translator can get a lot of benefit from these kinds of tools. I do every day.

                      I look forward to you testing Slate Desktop trial version next year. Before a trial version is available, we are offering everyone discounts through the Indiegogo campaign. If the 40% Super Early Bird discount doesn't fit your personal risk threshold, maybe you prefer the new $10 Perk that gives you a $100 rebate voucher you can use through Dec 2016, after the trial version is available.

                      As for the platform, we still support Linux. Windows is new. Mac is on our roadmap and you can read more about that on the ProZ.com forum discussion below. Essentially it boils down to "paying customers to the front of the line." Then again, if they're not paying, are they "customers" in the first place?

                      Regards,
                      Tom

                      Professional Translators and Interpreters (ProZ.com)

                      Slate Desktop: your personal MT engine (Machine Translation (MT))

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 28, 2015
                        Hi Tom,

                        Just a quick question about what happens if you don't reach the $6,500 goal. If not, what happens to my 40% off? I understand that if you don't reach it, I get my $330 back, but I would still want to get the product when it's ready.

                        Michael

                      • tahoar
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 28, 2015
                          Michael,

                          Indiegogo keeps all money paid until after the campaign closes. So, we have no control over the money. We created this as a "fixed funding" campaign. This means if the campaign doesn't reach the goal, Indiegogo will refund all money to everyone who contributed. Contributors and PTTools are release of all obligations and everyone will have to restart the purchase in January. Right now I don't know of we'll extend the 40% discount after the campaign closes. We'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it.
                        • michaelbeijer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 29, 2015
                            Fair enough. Will keep my fingers crossed and hope that you achieve your goal!

                            PS: Emma Goldsmith just wrote a post about Slate desktop over here: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2015/09/29/slate/

                          • Dominique DELPLANCHE
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 29, 2015

                              Hello everybody,

                              In a Word file, is it possible to search and replace

                              any digit + space + any month

                              by any digit + non-breaking space + any month

                              or is it necessary to repeat the operation for 12 monthes ?

                              thanks for advance

                              Dominique

                            • Pascal Ladalle

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 30, 2015
                                  Hello, Dominique,

                                  You can use Non-Breaking Space Checker, a special free tool (part of TransTools for Word) designed just for this purpose:

                                  http://www.translatortools.net/word-check-nbsp.html

                                  If you want to do this using Search & Replace, unfortunately, the regular expressions engine in Word does not support alternatives as in:
                                  (January|February|March)
                                  so the following expression will not work
                                  ([0-9]) (January|February|March)
                                  \1^s\2
                                  (^s is a non-breaking space)

                                  Instead, you can use Multiple Replace (http://www.translatortools.net/word-multireplace.html) in TransTools where you can set up a replacement list with all 12 regular expressions as follows:

                                  Find: ([0-9]) (January)
                                  Replace With: \1^s\2
                                  Use Wildcards
                                  and so on for all 12 months

                                  Here are the results of replacing in a sample document:

                                  Best regards,

                                  Stanislav Okhvat
                                  TransTools – Useful tools for every translator

                                • asaptraduction
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 1, 2015

                                    > In a Word file, is it possible to search and replace any digit + space + any month

                                    by any digit + non-breaking space + any month

                                    You could try something like this:

                                    ([0-9]{1,2}) (<[AFJMNSOD]*>)

                                    \1^s\2

                                    but it would also catch things like "2 Ministers" or "3 Australians" so you'd have to step through the S&R confirming.

                                    You might need to use {1;2} instead of {1,2} if you have a French system.

                                    Dave