Microsoft Translator now with quotas?

  • Bob White
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi, all. FYI.

      It looks as if MS Translator has also introduced quotas, at least for
      certain clients (but maybe this is old news? I've been off-air for a while).

      I can use Jon Olds' AHK script on MS Trans without problems, but when I
      used TranslateClient (Pro version) on MS Trans this morning I got this
      error message:

      ERROR:
      Microsoft Translator is over the quota. Try again later or switch to
      Google Translate.

      Bob
    • Bob White
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
        --- In help_@yahoogroups.com, Bob White <bob@...> wrote:

        > Hi, all. FYI.
        >
        > It looks as if MS Translator has also introduced quotas, at least for
        > certain clients (but maybe this is old news? I've been off-air for a while).
        >
        > I can use Jon Olds' AHK script on MS Trans without problems, but when I
        > used TranslateClient (Pro version) on MS Trans this morning I got this
        > error message:
        >
        > ERROR:
        > Microsoft Translator is over the quota. Try again later or switch to
        > Google Translate.
        >
        > Bob

        ... but perhaps it's TranslateClient itself that's generating that message?
        Bob
      • Dominique Pivard
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
          On 01.12.2011 10:12, you, Bob White wrote:

          Hi Bob,

          > It looks as if MS Translator has also introduced quotas, at least for
          > certain clients (but maybe this is old news? I've been off-air for a while).

          Jost Z. wrote about it in his Toolkit newsletter back on 15-Oct:

          <QUOTE>
          When Google announced changes to its policy for Google Translate that
          would have users pay for it if not directly used though Google or
          Google tools, there was considerable excitement. But when Microsoft
          (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/translation/) announced something very
          similar a couple of weeks ago, not many people took notice.

          Here is what happened: Unlike with Google, pricing for the use of Bing
          Translator will only kick in at four million characters a month and
          will then cost half as much ($10 per million characters instead of
          $20). Most freelance translators who choose to use Bing Translator
          will not have to worry about this, but LSPs or translation buyers
          might. Interestingly, since Microsoft is interested in clean and
          high-quality data, you can also contact them and offer your TMs in
          exchange for high-volume service. They promised me that this can be
          done very quickly and unbureaucratically. Just send an email to
          mtcont(a)microsoft.com and you should quickly get an answer if this is
          of interest to you.
          </QUOTE>

          Cheers,

          Dominique