Re: Helms restoration

  • rogeliocalvo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
      Ken: How is it going with the restoration of the helms 24

      Some friends and I went to the NC coast to pick up a Helms 24 1978

      which now is our family boat. we have redone the Hull: Strip, Sand,
      repaint with barrier coat and antifouling. The helms 24 is now on
      Lake Norman and we are working on the interior. Are you making head
      way with your boat?

      Regards,

      Rogelio
      "Sancho"
    • frank bowing
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2006
        I have a 1978 Helms 24 at Sneads Ferry NC that I am
        fixing up little by little. I have a friend that lives
        near Lake Norman, would like to stop by and meet you
        the next time I visit her.
        Frank Bowing

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ken Wright
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22 10:34 AM
          Good,
          Good use this year in the New Bern, NC area. We have completed the reupholstering of the interior with the exception of the forward berth. Reworked the companionway boards. I have done a good bit of sailing this summer in the Neuse River; having a blast.

          We are planning a haulout with a complete paint job planned this fall. New electronics are a probabililty...we will see how the weather holds...

          Hope things are going well for you...

          Ken,
          "Lunch Money"

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
            Ken:

            Hope you and Lunch Money are find.

            Did you get hit by the Storm (Ernesto)

            Have you taken the boat out yet?

            Regards,

            Rogelio
            "Sancho"

            --- In helmsyachts@yahoogroups.com, Ken Wright <ken_wright_63@...> wrote:

            > Good,
            > Good use this year in the New Bern, NC area. We have completed
            the reupholstering of the interior with the exception of the forward
            berth. Reworked the companionway boards. I have done a good bit of
            sailing this summer in the Neuse River; having a blast.

            > We are planning a haulout with a complete paint job planned this
            fall. New electronics are a probabililty...we will see how the
            weather holds...

            > Hope things are going well for you...
            >
            > Ken,
            > "Lunch Money"
            >
            > rogeliocalvo <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > Ken: How is it going with the restoration of the helms 24
            >
            > Some friends and I went to the NC coast to pick up a Helms 24 1978
            >
            > which now is our family boat. we have redone the Hull: Strip, Sand,
            > repaint with barrier coat and antifouling. The helms 24 is now on
            > Lake Norman and we are working on the interior. Are you making head
            > way with your boat?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Rogelio
            > "Sancho"

          • Ken Wright
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2006
              Hi Rogelio,
              Yes, we have been out several times this season. We recently sold our power boat which was our sleeping quarters on weekends. That took over two years in a strong buyers market. We still have Lunch Money in her slip in New Bern but find it difficult to get down to her given the two hour commute.

              Nonetheless, we get out at least for day sails. Our next three projects are:
              1) replace the lifelines
              2) drop the mast and install new antenna, wind meter, and direction devices at the top (and address the clinking inside the mast, believed to be DC wiring or old coax cable flopping around)
              3) Replace depth, speed and wind gages (wind instrumentation is new)

              Hope things are well with "Sancho"

              Fair winds and Calm Seas,

              Ken
              "Lunch Money"
              24 Helms

              rogeliocalvo <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              Ken:

              Hope you and Lunch Money are find.

              Did you get hit by the Storm (Ernesto)

              Have you taken the boat out yet?

              Regards,

              Rogelio
              "Sancho"

              --- In helmsyachts@yahoogroups.com, Ken Wright <ken_wright_63@...> wrote:

              > Good,
              > Good use this year in the New Bern, NC area. We have completed
              the reupholstering of the interior with the exception of the forward
              berth. Reworked the companionway boards. I have done a good bit of
              sailing this summer in the Neuse River; having a blast.

              > We are planning a haulout with a complete paint job planned this
              fall. New electronics are a probabililty...we will see how the
              weather holds...

              > Hope things are going well for you...
              >
              > Ken,
              > "Lunch Money"
              >
              > rogeliocalvo <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > Ken: How is it going with the restoration of the helms 24
              >
              > Some friends and I went to the NC coast to pick up a Helms 24 1978
              >
              > which now is our family boat. we have redone the Hull: Strip, Sand,
              > repaint with barrier coat and antifouling. The helms 24 is now on
              > Lake Norman and we are working on the interior. Are you making head
              > way with your boat?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Rogelio
              > "Sancho"

            • rogeliocalvo
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2006
                Ken:

                Glad to hear that you were able to go out a few times.

                We are at the Lake Norman where we will be entering our first regatta
                Paeninsula Reggatta. It is supposed to be a very nice event and we
                are looking forward to it.

                Sancho has a mast full of some kind of foam. It was probably to stop
                the clinking of the cables but now I have to replace them and it is a
                real chore to get the foam out of more than half the lenght of it.

                Keep us posted with your updates on Lunch Money. It is always good to
                read what other Helms owners do with their boats.

                Fair winds,

                Rogelio