Re: [Helm's Yachts] Helms restoration

  • Eric Swift
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2006
      i seem to be constantly restoring my Helms 25. my next project is a rudder. i guess i need to build one or buy one. I have looked for used rudders for awhile and cant seem to find one. let me know if you need any info on your boat.
      Eric Swift

      Ken Wright <ken_wright_63@...> wrote:
      I have a Helms 24 that I am restoring. I am interested in information from anyone else involved with a similar project.

      Ken
      "Lunch Money"
      New Bern, NC

      Sailing Sailing yacht Sailing boat Boating sailing Helm

      ---------------------------------

      Eric Swift
      "Mahna Mahna" Helms 25,
      #39 Texas Mini GP,
      and just plain idiot!

    • rogeliocalvo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2006
        Ken: How is it going with the restoration of the helms 24

        Some friends and I went to the NC coast to pick up a Helms 24 1978

        which now is our family boat. we have redone the Hull: Strip, Sand,
        repaint with barrier coat and antifouling. The helms 24 is now on
        Lake Norman and we are working on the interior. Are you making head
        way with your boat?

        Regards,

        Rogelio
        "Sancho"
      • frank bowing
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2006
          I have a 1978 Helms 24 at Sneads Ferry NC that I am
          fixing up little by little. I have a friend that lives
          near Lake Norman, would like to stop by and meet you
          the next time I visit her.
          Frank Bowing

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ken Wright
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2006
            Good,
            Good use this year in the New Bern, NC area. We have completed the reupholstering of the interior with the exception of the forward berth. Reworked the companionway boards. I have done a good bit of sailing this summer in the Neuse River; having a blast.

            We are planning a haulout with a complete paint job planned this fall. New electronics are a probabililty...we will see how the weather holds...

            Hope things are going well for you...

            Ken,
            "Lunch Money"

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
              Ken:

              Hope you and Lunch Money are find.

              Did you get hit by the Storm (Ernesto)

              Have you taken the boat out yet?

              Regards,

              Rogelio
              "Sancho"

              --- In helmsyachts@yahoogroups.com, Ken Wright <ken_wright_63@...> wrote:

              > Good,
              > Good use this year in the New Bern, NC area. We have completed
              the reupholstering of the interior with the exception of the forward
              berth. Reworked the companionway boards. I have done a good bit of
              sailing this summer in the Neuse River; having a blast.

              > We are planning a haulout with a complete paint job planned this
              fall. New electronics are a probabililty...we will see how the
              weather holds...

              > Hope things are going well for you...
              >
              > Ken,
              > "Lunch Money"
              >
              > rogeliocalvo <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > Ken: How is it going with the restoration of the helms 24
              >
              > Some friends and I went to the NC coast to pick up a Helms 24 1978
              >
              > which now is our family boat. we have redone the Hull: Strip, Sand,
              > repaint with barrier coat and antifouling. The helms 24 is now on
              > Lake Norman and we are working on the interior. Are you making head
              > way with your boat?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Rogelio
              > "Sancho"

            • Ken Wright
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2006
                Hi Rogelio,
                Yes, we have been out several times this season. We recently sold our power boat which was our sleeping quarters on weekends. That took over two years in a strong buyers market. We still have Lunch Money in her slip in New Bern but find it difficult to get down to her given the two hour commute.

                Nonetheless, we get out at least for day sails. Our next three projects are:
                1) replace the lifelines
                2) drop the mast and install new antenna, wind meter, and direction devices at the top (and address the clinking inside the mast, believed to be DC wiring or old coax cable flopping around)
                3) Replace depth, speed and wind gages (wind instrumentation is new)

                Hope things are well with "Sancho"

                Fair winds and Calm Seas,

                Ken
                "Lunch Money"
                24 Helms

                rogeliocalvo <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                Ken:

                Hope you and Lunch Money are find.

                Did you get hit by the Storm (Ernesto)

                Have you taken the boat out yet?

                Regards,

                Rogelio
                "Sancho"

                --- In helmsyachts@yahoogroups.com, Ken Wright <ken_wright_63@...> wrote:

                > Good,
                > Good use this year in the New Bern, NC area. We have completed
                the reupholstering of the interior with the exception of the forward
                berth. Reworked the companionway boards. I have done a good bit of
                sailing this summer in the Neuse River; having a blast.

                > We are planning a haulout with a complete paint job planned this
                fall. New electronics are a probabililty...we will see how the
                weather holds...

                > Hope things are going well for you...
                >
                > Ken,
                > "Lunch Money"
                >
                > rogeliocalvo <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > Ken: How is it going with the restoration of the helms 24
                >
                > Some friends and I went to the NC coast to pick up a Helms 24 1978
                >
                > which now is our family boat. we have redone the Hull: Strip, Sand,
                > repaint with barrier coat and antifouling. The helms 24 is now on
                > Lake Norman and we are working on the interior. Are you making head
                > way with your boat?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Rogelio
                > "Sancho"

              • rogeliocalvo
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 14, 2006
                  Ken:

                  Glad to hear that you were able to go out a few times.

                  We are at the Lake Norman where we will be entering our first regatta
                  Paeninsula Reggatta. It is supposed to be a very nice event and we
                  are looking forward to it.

                  Sancho has a mast full of some kind of foam. It was probably to stop
                  the clinking of the cables but now I have to replace them and it is a
                  real chore to get the foam out of more than half the lenght of it.

                  Keep us posted with your updates on Lunch Money. It is always good to
                  read what other Helms owners do with their boats.

                  Fair winds,

                  Rogelio