Re: allergic reaction to whipworm

  • j.scott107
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 23, 2011
      Hi Emilia

      I don't think it's so much a case of being allergic to whipworms, but rather of the presence of the whipworms temporarily causing a worsening of existing allergic symptoms or a reactivation of a dormant allergic tendency. And I very much doubt that this would necessitate terminating the treatment, but it can certainly be unpleasant.

      I was in a very similar position to you - on a totally semi-elemental diet - and had had great success with hookworm (http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/food_intolerance/articles/worms_for_food_intolerance.html ) but, after having the hookworms for 6 months, I decided to try adding whipworms and, oh boy, did I wish I hadn't bothered!

      On the 4th day after the first dose of whipworms (100 Trichuris trichiura ova), my nose suddenly became noticeably more congested. At day 6, I was having trouble sleeping because of the nasal-blocking effects of lots of difficult-to-clear mucous, and the loss of sleep was having a knock-on effect that began to undo some of the good work done by the hookworms. Fortunately, this eventually eased off again by the third week, and I had several days when my nose was almost back to pre-whipworm status.

      Immediately after the second dose (300 ova), however, I had several days when I felt really exhausted, and my tolerance to food began to waver a little, causing gastroparesis and 'heaviness' in my gut. At 5 days after this second dose, my nose began to fill up again and, by the 7th day, it was running like a tap. A few days later, I was losing a lot of sleep again due to the nasal blockage, and this was alternating with spells of running - just as though I had a cold. I was saturating up to 12 man-sized tissues each night!

      At day 10 after the second dose, I began to get indigestion/heartburn, which became a regular, almost daily feature from then on, and the headaches, which had become so blissfully rare after getting the hookworms, returned with a vengeance, on an almost daily basis, with many of them developing into migraines. 3 1/2 weeks after the second dose, the indigestion/heartburn disappeared and the nasal symptoms again eased off.

      Then, after the final large dose (800 ova), the same problems returned with full force, along with many of my other 'old regulars:' fatigue and itching (from day 2) nasal symptoms (day 5) and gut discomfort (day 16). At 18 days, I completely lost my sense of taste and smell, and this continued, along with the nasal congestion, for 7 weeks. The headaches at that stage were unremitting until they finally began to recede at just over 6 weeks.

      I hasten to stress that this is a very untypically severe reaction to whipworms, and a further dose of hookworms did eventually put me back on course to transformed health but, as you have a similar degree of hypersensitivity to me, I would get a good colony of hookworms established before considering whipworms.

      If you have ulcerative colitis, you would arguably be advised to get whipworms anyway and put up with any transient side effects that these might produce, including the possible return of allergies and asthma. Or you could use either prednis(ol)one or low dose naltrexone to damp down the side effects but, as always, be guided by your provider and medical advisers.

      Best - John

      --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "Emilia Jenson" <emilia.jenson@...> wrote:

      > I have read that it is possible to be allergic to whipworm. Would anybody know how this allergic reaction would present itself, and whether this means you could not continue with the therapy?
      >
      > I have a hypersensitive immune system, and am on elemental formula for my full diet due to allergic reactions to food constituents. I would be grateful to hear of any allergic experiences to whipworm and whether there was any way of overcoming them.
      >
      > Thank you

    • Emilia Jenson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2011
        Thank you for your detailed reply, you have given me a lot to consider.

        Regards

        --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "j.scott107" <j.scott.164@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > whipworms anyway and put up with any transient side effects that these
        > might produce, including the possible return of allergies and asthma. Or
        > you could use either prednis(ol)one or low dose naltrexone to damp down
        > the side effects but, as always, be guided by your provider and medical
        > advisers.
        > Best - John
        > --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "Emilia Jenson"
        > <emilia.jenson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have read that it is possible to be allergic to whipworm. Would
        > anybody know how this allergic reaction would present itself, and
        > whether this means you could not continue with the therapy?
        > >
        > > I have a hypersensitive immune system, and am on elemental formula for
        > my full diet due to allergic reactions to food constituents. I would be
        > grateful to hear of any allergic experiences to whipworm and whether

      • Sandra Lorean
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2011
          I am currently having an allergic reaction to worm proteins. It manifests as edema (swelling) and is easily counter-acted with prednisone which I am tapering off of as my body adjusts to the worms.

          On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Emilia Jenson <emilia.jenson@...> wrote:

          I have read that it is possible to be allergic to whipworm. Would anybody know how this allergic reaction would present itself, and whether this means you could not continue with the therapy?

          I have a hypersensitive immune system, and am on elemental formula for my full diet due to allergic reactions to food constituents. I would be grateful to hear of any allergic experiences to whipworm and whether there was any way of overcoming them.

          Thank you

        • b_r_rikk
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24, 2011
            hi, john -- i guess whipworm are the topic de jour! i noticed you mentioned the side effects you experienced were transient, which is comforting.

            i've had very mild ones during the first three weeks: some insomnia, a
            stuffy nose, and slight general muscular and nervous tension. this started only a few days after inoculating. since i've got UC, i chose to host both helminths: 2000 WW and 55 HW.

            of those here who are doing combination therapy, is there a sense of the proper ratio of HW to WW in order to achieve the best
            balance of therapeutic effects from each?

            i'd obviously like to host the least # of helminths for the max benefits, but if i require it, 45 more hookworm would probably round out my "old friends" nicely. what i value more than anything is feeling calm, and hookworm seemed to create an incredible relaxation for me in the first month or two. i'm hoping as i start to feel the longer term benefits this wonderful sensation will return.

            thanks in advance for your feedback.

          • chuckleberrry
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2011
              Sandra,

              How long did you taper off the prednisone? I'm a UC patient, and will be starting whipworms soon, so I'm interested what others have done to counteract any side effects of colony start-up. It seems as if 12 weeks is the long-term estimate of how long it will take to get through the establishment period. did you taper for that long? what dosages?

              Thanks,
              cb

              --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Lorean <handysandy.atl@...> wrote:

              > I am currently having an allergic reaction to worm proteins. It manifests as
              > edema (swelling) and is easily counter-acted with prednisone which I am
              > tapering off of as my body adjusts to the worms.
              >
              > On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Emilia Jenson
              > <emilia.jenson@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I have read that it is possible to be allergic to whipworm. Would anybody
              > > know how this allergic reaction would present itself, and whether this means
              > > you could not continue with the therapy?
              > >
              > > I have a hypersensitive immune system, and am on elemental formula for my
              > > full diet due to allergic reactions to food constituents. I would be
              > > grateful to hear of any allergic experiences to whipworm and whether there
              > > was any way of overcoming them.
              > >
              > > Thank you

            • T C
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2011
                Hi All,

                Regarding allergic reactions. I have heard about this. I read that using combination therapy reduces the risk of this. Hosting whipworm and hookworm plus take probiotics. Biodiversity of the gut biome is a good thing!

                I put myself on prednisone whenever I top-up with hookworm or whipworm. I just recently added 1000  new whipworms to my gut biome.

                I hope this helps. Tracy:D
              • bealesdonna
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2011
                  I hosted a different species (N. americanus) but early on (a couple of weeks post-inoculation) I noticed a slight uptick in my seasonal allergy symptoms, which had not bothered me in some time. Hard to say how this relates; I have a lot of serious factors that may negate any comparison to a "typical" autoimmune state.

                  But I am, to my dismay, an exceptional case, so it's hard to say