Re: Science: Intestinal Permeability Index

  • Alberto
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
      I would expect that the subject of intestinal permeability and the possible way to measure it should be of enormous interest to people with allergies and immune system problems. I would be grateful for any info you can find about it.
      Concerning a similar subject, perhaps you can go to http://tinyurl.com/zenulin ,about zenulin and its regulation of intestinal barrier function. I wonder if this is connected with the HK's modus operandi. This link was published in another helminthic group but, due to its small print ,I have not been able to read it properly. Thank you.

      --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "donnabeales" <dbeales@...> wrote:

      > One of the things you have to keep in mind in medicine is applicability of the information you find, for lack of a better word. In order for this information to really be of value, it would be important to understand the context in which this test, if it is indeed a test, is used. Only a handful of articles in Medline refer to IPI, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
      >
      > If I get a chance I will ask around, but I suspect at first glance, but don't really know, that perhaps it may be one of those things that's only useful in really, really ill people, such as those in the ICU.
      >
      > Still, because there's a lot of interest here on the forum about gut permeability I thought it was worth posting.
      >
      > Best--
      >
      > Donna
      >

      > --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "Alberto" <albertorivas100@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Interesting article ; thank you Donna. I wonder if there is a correlation as well between this index and food allergies and intolerances
      > >
      > > --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Beales" <dbeales@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > There is apparently a tool used to determine intestinal permeability,
      > > > the "intestinal permeability index." This article states that
      > > > bacterial infection increases IPI:
      > > >

      > > > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21332551
      > > >

      > > > Donna Beales, MLIS
      > > > Lowell General Hospital
      > > > Health Science Library
      > > > 295 Varnum Ave.
      > > > Lowell, MA 01854
      > > > Email: dbeales AT lowellgeneral.org
      > > > http://www.lowellgeneral.org/library
      > > > <http://www.lowellgeneral.org/library>
      > > >
      > > > Tel. 978-937-6247
      > > > Fax 978-937-6855
      > > >
      > > > Thank you for using our services.
      > > >

      > > > Tell us how we're doing.
      > > > <http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=BMDHI_cd5c65f1>
      > > >

      > > > This message and any included attachments are intended only for the use
      > > > of the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
      > > > information that is privileged, confidential and protected from
      > > > disclosure under applicable law. Any review, disclosure, transmission,
      > > > dissemination, copying or other use of this information by persons or
      > > > entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If
      > > > you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the
      > > > sender and delete the related message. Thank you.

    • j.scott107
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
        This link will take you to the pdf of the paper about zonulin. If you still have difficulty reading this, message me.

        --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "Alberto" <albertorivas100@...> wrote:

        > I would expect that the subject of intestinal permeability and the possible way to measure it should be of enormous interest to people with allergies and immune system problems. I would be grateful for any info you can find about it.
        > Concerning a similar subject, perhaps you can go to http://tinyurl.com/zenulin ,about zenulin and its regulation of intestinal barrier function. I wonder if this is connected with the HK's modus operandi. This link was published in another helminthic group but, due to its small print ,I have not been able to read it properly. Thank you.
        >
        > --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "donnabeales" dbeales@ wrote:
        > >
        > > One of the things you have to keep in mind in medicine is applicability of the information you find, for lack of a better word. In order for this information to really be of value, it would be important to understand the context in which this test, if it is indeed a test, is used. Only a handful of articles in Medline refer to IPI, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
        > >
        > > If I get a chance I will ask around, but I suspect at first glance, but don't really know, that perhaps it may be one of those things that's only useful in really, really ill people, such as those in the ICU.
        > >
        > > Still, because there's a lot of interest here on the forum about gut permeability I thought it was worth posting.
        > >
        > > Best--
        > >
        > > Donna

      • Joyce Gates
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2011
          This article is way too technical for me to understand, however, I do have questions of the audience.

          If my gut is so damaged from UC and Celiac disease that food permeates it and creates an "intolerance" in my body, could that mean that the HW and WW I ingested are no longer in my gut?  Could they have slipped through the "perforations" in my intestinal wall?  If so, I assume they entered my blood stream, and then what happened to them?

          Perhaps that explains why I had such a short-term success with the probiotics (~ months), and my body has reverted back to the way it was before.

          Joyce

          This link will take you to the pdf of the paper about zonulin. If you still have difficulty reading this, message me.

          --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "Alberto" <albertorivas100@...> wrote:

          > I would expect that the subject of intestinal permeability and the possible way to measure it should be of enormous interest to people with allergies and immune system problems. I would be grateful for any info you can find about it.
          > Concerning a similar subject, perhaps you can go to http://tinyurl.com/zenulin ,about zenulin and its regulation of intestinal barrier function. I wonder if this is connected with the HK's modus operandi. This link was published in another helminthic group but, due to its small print ,I have not been able to read it properly. Thank you.
          >
          > --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "donnabeales" dbeales@ wrote:
          > >
          > > One of the things you have to keep in mind in medicine is applicability of the information you find, for lack of a better word. In order for this information to really be of value, it would be important to understand the context in which this test, if it is indeed a test, is used. Only a handful of articles in Medline refer to IPI, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
          > >
          > > If I get a chance I will ask around, but I suspect at first glance, but don't really know, that perhaps it may be one of those things that's only useful in really, really ill people, such as those in the ICU.
          > >
          > > Still, because there's a lot of interest here on the forum about gut permeability I thought it was worth posting.
          > >
          > > Best--
          > >
          > > Donna

        • donnabeales
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2011
            My understanding is that gut permeability is a problem more of a chemical
            nature; the gut allows small particles that should normally be too big to pass
            into the bloodstream to travel there.

            Helminths are much too big to pass through the intestinal wall even if there is
            permeability; neither do they burrow through although they do attach there to
            feed.

            FYI, although I've seen a lot of photos of helminths with "nasty pointy teeth,"
            N. americanus (hookworm) have two elongated plates that look almost like clamps,
            not pointed fang-like structures.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
              Thanks, Donna!  I'll keep looking for the silver lining in all this.

              Joyce

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Aug 2, 2011, at 11:24 AM, "donnabeales" <dbeales@...> wrote:

              My understanding is that gut permeability is a problem more of a chemical nature; the gut allows small particles that should normally be too big to pass into the bloodstream to travel there.

              Helminths are much to big to pass through the intestinal wall even if there is permeability; neither do they burrow through although they do attach there to feed.