Re: NPR and RadioLab interview

  • marc_dellerba
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2009
      Overall I thought it was OK, still trying to not get too irritated by the jokey, flippant American style of presenting serious material (those of you more familiar with BBC radio 4 will know there are better ways of presenting good science), the "Alien" start was errr... interesting.

      Marc

      --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "jascallaw" <jascallaw@...> wrote:

      > I was interviewed in May by RadioLab, three and a half hours of interview were distilled down to produce a tiny portion of the middle twenty minutes.
      >
      > The show is interesting, particularly for the parallels in the introduction with the CBS piece in which they held up earthworms. Here it is using references to Alien, which is my fault. I discussed that with them in the portion of the interview that was dropped, I remember.
      >
      > Overall an entertaining take on the whole thing, and accurate in a way most of the journalists I have dealt with have not been, despite their liking for quick cuts and interspersed narrative. For the parts I am familiar with the source materials they did a remarkable job distilling the truth by cutting together phrases and words from two or three interview subjects. Interesting.
      >
      > http://blogs.wnyc.org/radiolab/2009/09/07/parasites/
      >
      > Jasper

    • Marya DeBlasi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2009
        I think that American television & radio producers do not have much confidence in the intelligence of their audience.  That assessment may be perfectly correct, considering the state of the American education system;  the average American simply does not know much science.  Ask one to name three things that are inside a cell, or what a prime number is and see what kind of response you get.

        The "Alien" thing was probably, in the mind of the producer, a "way in" to the report for a population who would otherwise dismiss it as beyond their ken.  As creepy an image the movie provided, it was a much loved and respected film, it worked on both the high and low brow levels and would have caused a large swathe of the population to perk up their ears.

        Marya

        Apropos of nothing, I called the doctors office this morning and left a message with the answering service saying " Alright, I give up, admit me (not through the ED)."
        So my next contact with you all may be from the hermetically sealed hallways of OSUMC.
        MD