4330Re: Question regarding effect of Helminthic therapy on viral infections

  • marc_dellerba
    Apr 25, 2010
      Hi Holly

      There is still so much that is unknown about helminths so people do have different views on your questions.

      My thoughts are;

      (1) Helminths do no lead to immunosuppression, the mechanism appears to be more complex. There is some debate in the literature on the possibility that infected individuals are more susceptible to viral infection. I think this question really arose from the early mechanistic theory of a re-balancing of the Th1/Th2 response.

      Feedback from people who have bought helminths from AIT indicates that generally most people do not notice any difference after taking helminths.

      (2) Mis-migration of helminths is more associated with infection with a helminth who's normal host is another animal. There is no literature describing mis-migration of N. americanus in humans, and personally I think this is highly unlikely unless the individual is severely immunocompromised.

      (3) For an average adult, the normal dose is 35 hookworm, this has been determined empirically.

      (4) I am not aware this has been a problem with anyone who has bought from AIT or if the question is applicable to anyone who buys from AIT. To avoid this situation we absolutely insist that the client obtain an agreement from their physician to continue their health care, with the knowledge that the client will be trying helminths. While doctors are unable to officially recommend trying helminthic therapy, the overwhelming majority appear to be willing to continue treating their patients with the knowledge that they will be taking helminths.

      Hope this helps

      Marc

      --- In helminthictherapy@yahoogroups.com, "estes_holly" <estes_holly@...> wrote:

      > Hello, I am new to the group and I am considering Helminthic therapy for my severe allergies. Here are a few questions I have:
      > 1) If you are immunosuppressed after obtaining hookworm, does it take longer for the body to fight off viral infections, such as cold or flu?
      > 2) Is it possible for a hookworm to remain in your heart or lungs without continuing on to the GI tract? Can hookworms perforate your intestine?
      > 3) How many hookworms are provided through Autoimmune Therapies and how is the dose determined?
      > 4) Have anyone of you run across the problem of your physician not wanting to treat you any longer after you decide to obtain hookworm?
      >
      > Thanks! Any input would be greatly appreciated.
      > Holly

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic