Re: [hegel] Re: the silent fourth

    Message 1 of 130 , Jan 26, 2011
      Am 26.01.2011 00:21, John writes:

      > --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hegel%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "TheJack" <thejackjam@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I think that the burden now lies in your hands (or someone else) to
      > explain how you think "reflection", "reference", or any type "analytic
      > determinations" can take place within the "unity of Form and Content"
      > that is achieved when we arrive to the standpoint of Science.
      > >
      > > Otherwise we can begin taking this Unity seriously.
      > >
      > > Randall
      >
      > Dear Randall,
      >
      > That works for me.
      >
      > In regard to "the silent fourth", though, what Carlson said, following
      > Zizek, is that in the doctrines of Being and Essence _subjectivity_ is
      > the silent fourth. So everywhere along the line in the first volume of
      > the SL subjectivity is below the surface, so to speak, trying to get
      > out. As early as Becoming you have, implicitly, subjectivity.
      >
      > But in the doctrine of the concept it is objectivity that is the
      > silent fourth. The concept is trying to become objective.
      >
      > As for the reader, you and me, the main problem is just simply to
      > read. So keep reading. Feel free to take it as seriously as you can.
      >
      > John

      The main problem is not just to read but the interpretation of what you
      read. Interpretation cannot be done from an isolated passage of a text
      only but is to interrelate different passages and the whole. This at
      least is one important reason for disagreement.

      I agree with what you (and Carlson and Zizek) say about "the silent
      fourth". But what is the consequence for our problem about external
      reflection in the course of the Logic? In my opinion it is precisely
      "the silent fourth" which keeps the ball running and therefore its part
      has to be taken by the external reflection of the philosopher as long as
      the subjective side of the Concept is not yet explicit (for-itself),
      that is, as long as the Concept itself has not yet become subjective. I
      wonder whether Carlson or Zizek make some remarks about this.

      Message 130 of 130 , Jan 31, 2011
        Hi John,

        There is a sense that what Randall and I are speaking about is our own
        private concern. Actually, we are speaking around a certain reading of Hegel
        of which we both are familiar. Randall embraces this reading while I reject
        it. We are thrashing out some of the issues of this reading that has its
        source primarily in the writings of Winfield, Maker, and Houlgate. So I can
        appreciate how much of this might not be all that helpful for others.

        The discussion about skepticism though is a more widely recognized concern
        as Pippin, Pinkard, Westfhal, and Forster to name some of the more prominent
        English language interpreters read the Phenomenology as a skeptical account
        about the failures of natural consciousness. In fact, as far as I can tell,
        this is the majority view as to how to read the Phenomenology. The
        skepticism is carried over as the preferred way to read "With What Must the
        Science Begin" in the Logic.

        You are right to point out that we have really not really gotten started
        with a reading of the Logic. Last year, I wrote extensively on this site
        about my reading of the beginning. At some point I will revisit those posts
        and see if I want to change or add anything to what I have already said. But
        somehow I have managed to deflect Randall from getting on with his way of
        reading the text. If I remember, he wants to put a particular emphasis on
        understanding what Hegel means by determinate negation. This is fine with
        me. It sounds like a good way to focus the discussion.

        As for your final comment about the coming together of form and content I
        stand by what I have already said on this.

        Regards, Alan

        From: john <jgbardis@...>
        Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 02:34:43 -0000
        To: <hegel@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [hegel] Re: the silent fourth

        Dear Alan,

        Randall had been talking about form and content--and I didn't have a clue
        why he brought that into it at this point.

        But I guess what he meant was that the form of the SL is the manner of
        thinking that is going on there, while the content is what is being thought
        about, i.e., Being.

        I believe Randall was suggesting that there ought to be some relation
        between the two.

        I also didn't understand where skepticism came into it. So I quess
        skepticism is just the reason for starting with Being. If you start with,
        say, Something, then the skeptic will complain. And, so then, I quess, at
        every step of the way you can't be too overtly "creative" or, again, the
        skeptic will complain.

        So, then, Alan, I more or less understand what you are saying below about
        the manner of thinking. But you don't relate this at all to starting with
        Being.

        Of course, as Hegel says, the starting place is _just_ a starting place. I
        suppose it could be dictated more or less externally by skepticism. That's
        as good a way to start as any.

        As I said in my last post, I don't believe the form and content, the manner
        of thinking and the matter thought, really come together until the Doctrine
        of Essence. Everything up to that point is pretty much just an exercise in
        futility--except for the fact that it establishes Essence. So instead of
        just making the distinction, as Heidegger does, between being and be-ing (or
        bying, or something like that, in other translations), and saying one is
        just abstract generality and the other is the real deal--instead of that,
        you actually go through all the mediation required to arrive at an immediate
        Essence in contrast to being.

        At any rate, that's as much as I've understood about all this--insofar as
        I've understood any of it at all.

        John

        --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hegel%40yahoogroups.com> , Alan