AW: Re: [hegel] The historical situation--conclusion

  • greuterb@bluewin.ch
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2011
      ----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht----
      Von: merrillbp@...
      Datum: 07.01.2011 15:56
      An: <hegel@yahoogroups.com>
      Re: [hegel] The historical situation--conclusion

      "The most important sign that these positive dogmas have lost much
      of
      their importance is that in the main these doctrines are treated
      historically."

      Is there a puzzle here? I see what
      he means: to treat religious
      doctrine historically (cf anthropologically) is to hollow it out.

      But so much of Hegel's
      non-hollow exposition is historical. As with
      world history and the history of philosophy.

      And as for the history of
      theology: "The different positions are as
      follows: a) immediate religion, b) the enlightenment of the
      understanding,
      and c) the rational cognition of religion."
      (p 489 of Hodgson's one volume ed of the Lectures of 1827,)

      Does Hegel
      ever confront the contrast between the historical method
      that dissolves "importance" and his own historical method,
      that
      injects importance?

      My apologies, John, if this is too tangential.

      More apologies are in order.

      I did not pay
      adequate attention to the subsequent paragraph!
      E.g.: "The absolute way in which these doctrines were formed--out of

      the depths of spirit--is forgotten..." Really slack on my part.

      It has to do with agency.

      Dear Bruce,

      So, for Hegel
      it is important how history is treated. If something is treated historically it has lost meaning for the present and
      therefore there is no history at all but only present which is merely a new absolute without relation to history. Such
      a treating of history is a rational abstraction or a nostalgic narrative or both. Hegel's treating of history, however,
      is to save the spirit in the historical development what gives justice to the past absolute in the present. For Hegel
      history is not a past since spirit does not now 'past - present - future' but the sublation of what was in what is and
      what will come. Hegel does discuss this in the preliminary passages of the "Lectures on the Philosophy of History".

      Regards,
      Beat