Re: [hegel] Re: New file uploaded to hegel

    Message 1 of 709 , Dec 24, 2010
      Dear Wil and John,

      You write:

      > John,
      >
      > Odd reading, there. I would say a misreading.
      >
      > I would render the sentence as follows: That which gives itself being
      > as concept does so in the total contingency and necessity of its
      > finding, and not because of a prior eschaton. But this is, and
      > probably remains as, emblematic of the difficulties here between the
      > theologues and the post-theologues.
      >
      > Wil

      Yes, I think, this is the meaning of my proposition. You write very well
      "the contingency and necessity of its finding". "Finding" means here, I
      guess, "search" and "discovery". The concept is looking for its being.
      Perhaps it can reach it, perhaps not. It depends on the presupposed
      necessary moments which constitute the concept. So, on the moon there is
      no life. But if the presuppositions were developed then organism can
      arise and sublate the moments in its own mediation which is no longer
      the mediation of the presupposed isolated moments. This development is a
      combination of contingency (development of the moments) and necessity
      (of the mediating shapes from the developing concept). Freedom then is
      the sublation of the immediacy in the mediating shape. To be clear the
      mentioned necessity does not refer to the movement of the pure concept
      that is shown in the Logic and that is only seen retrospectively as an
      'abstraction' of the process of the concept in its totally other, an
      'abstraction' we usually call science.

      No John, it does not refer to the telos of nature. If you say to a
      friend: "yes, he is my father", whereupon do you think this "he" does
      refer? To the friend or the father?

      > Either way, I don't recall that Harris uses the word "telos". He
      > simply says, as Beat does, that the concept realizes itself in nature.
      > Of course this realization involves contingency. But the important
      > thing that differentiates Hegel from Darwin, as Beat also mentioned,
      > is this necessity that is involved in the realization of the concept
      > in nature.
      >
      > John

    • stephen theron
      Message 709 of 709 , Oct 17

        Dear Paul. This looks interesting. I would like to be able to get this file and have noted down the link.

        My paper which I think, am not sure offhand, you uploaded here for me, has grown and is still growing. If you are interested I could send it to you for your comment, if any, etc. I changed it to a pdf and submitted it to a couple of journals when it was about 15,000 words but it seems to keep on growing, e.g. I recently realised a second chapter was necessary (on Trinity in the novel context of Good and Evil or similar title), following on "Hegel's Religious Account of Incarnation" or similar. I dream of having III, Absolute Knowledge and then IV as a commentary on the Preface (that would make a book all right, with a unitary theme. Title?). Usually when I announce things they don't get done but it seems nice to have maybe you or anyone interersted. Of course I want to buttress more deeply my Hegel interpretation in other works, as against some recent criticism. Apparently Rinaldi has written a very critical review of me, he tells me (especially my discussion of him in The Orthodox Hegel), for some Italian journal (in Italian: who is going to help me read it?).

        Hope your workload remains bearable and that all goes well.

        Stephen.