Re: [hegel] Re: New file uploaded to hegel

    Message 1 of 712 , Dec 23, 2010
      Dear Bruce,

      You write:

      > Dear Beat,
      >
      > > It is hard to understand what you mean here. Why should Harris' approach
      > to Nature-philosophy involve the removal of spirit?
      >
      > If is often the case that the endorsement of evolution (as Harris
      > does) involves the subtraction of spirit. E.g. Darwin's theory natural
      > selection removes the telos of nature, that telos designed by a benign
      > Christian God. But Harris' commitment to evolution does not involve
      > any loss of spirit, or religion.

      But why "Harris' commitment to evolution does not involve any loss of
      spirit, or religion"? Because of the telos of nature he presupposes? But
      at least for Hegel there is no such telos of nature. It is only the
      concept which gives itself being in the total contingency and
      necessity. So, from what you say it follows that Hegel's theory of
      evolution involves the substraction or mere physical appendage of
      spirit, or does it not? However, Hegel can show how spirit emerges from
      nature. This I guess Darwin and his followers cannot since from their
      empirical theory of continual evolution they cannot derive the transfers
      of natural entities by leap. 'Emergence' means that something totally
      new with its own qualities and connections arises from a basis which
      then fully is sublated. Some contemporary philosophers stick to the same
      illusion of a causal explanation of spiritual activities based on
      (cognitive, social) neuroscience. With this they cut the bough on which
      they sit.

      > > Also, I do not understand "this very ambitious instance of
      > neo-Hegelianism". What is this instance and what is neo-Hegelianism?
      >
      > I take Harris' Nature, Mind and Modern Science (1954) and especially
      > The Foundations of Metaphysics in Science (1965) to be very ambitious
      > instances of neo-Hegelianism. I am amazed that there is so little
      > awareness of these works in Hegelian circles. Harris' intent is to
      > restate and redeem the most neglected 1/3 of the Encyclopedia.
      >
      > If you look at the second & more imporant volume, it may strike you as
      > so Neo- as to no longer qualify as Hegelian. E.g. It begins with
      > relativity-- which is not where Hegel begins, of course! So, if you're
      > curious about the Hegelian standing of Harris' work, it would be
      > better to read those 4 chapters in _The Spirit of Hegel_ first.
      >
      > Also, the chapter on Hegel (& modern science) in the first book offers
      > a useful introduction to Harris' approach.
      >
      > Bruce

      I only know Harris' 'The Spirit of Hegel'. It seems from what you write
      that the other two books are more important for our topic.

      Regards,
      Beat

    • hegel@yahoogroups.com
      Message 712 of 712 , Dec 3, 2017
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the hegel
        group.

        File : /LPR2_India_1824_sect_4.docx
        Uploaded by : petrejo@... <petrejo@...>
        Description : Peter Hodgson's translation of Hegel's 1824 Lecture Notes for his LPR2 (tr. Hodgson, 1990). This is the fourth of four: FINAL

        You can access this file at the URL:

        petrejo@... <petrejo@...>