Re: [hegel] Re: the identity of the theoretical and the practical in the Absolute

    Message 1 of 93 , Sep 7, 2010
      John writes:

      > --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hegel%40yahoogroups.com>, Beat
      > Greuter <greuterb@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > John writes:
      >

      > > > I beleive the relationship between Hegel's logic and his theology is
      > > > pretty much the same as the relationship between the logic and his
      > > > philosophy of nature. Hegel more or less derives the categories a
      > > > priori. Then he looks around to see what physical phenomenon
      > > > corresponds to a given category.
      > > >

      > > Dear John,
      > >
      > > I am surprised to hear this from you. Hegel wrote the PhdG for avoiding
      > > such an a priori derivation of the categories since in this way
      > > skepticism would have an easy job: the Logic would not be the absolute
      > > in thought since its other would be totally outside and only a
      > > contingent use of the logical categories (as with Kant). Even if we
      > > admit that Hegel had a pure logical view of the categories before he
      > > wrote the PhdG we cannot deny that his Logic is the abstraction in pure
      > > thought of the phenomenal world taken as the whole of the relationships
      > > between subject and object.
      >
      > Dear Beat,
      >
      > It is all quite complicated. What I had in mind above in particualar
      > was Hegel's manner of doing things in his Philosophy of Nature. There
      > he pretty much comes up with the next category. Then he looks around
      > to find a physical phenomenon that corresponds to the category. So on
      > the one hand there is a very strict logical development, but on the
      > other hand Hegel was very much interested in the details of all the
      > sciences up to the day he died. There's a sort of synergy between
      > empericism and logic that is hard for me at least to describe very well.
      >
      > John

      Dear John,

      Yes, this is the crucial relationship which has to be truly grasped: the
      relationship between the logical necessity of the movement of the
      concept (the self emergence of reason where form and content are not
      separated, the development of experience), on the one side, and the
      empirical procedure for handling the plurality of the phenomenal world,
      on the other side. The first has been shown and proved in Hegel's 'pure'
      philosophy, in Hegel's science of philosophy (PhdG, Logic) and has
      become therefore the inner presupposition for the observation of nature
      and history. This presuppostion cannot be proved when dealing
      philosophically with these matters which have to be taken as they are:
      "we have to proceed historically, empirically ", and it is not allowed
      to make a priori presuppositions about these objects as the particular
      scientist of history and nature does (see "Lectures on the Philosophy of
      History", Introduction, part A "Kind of treatment of history").

      Now, you can reply that Hegel is a clever guts since he also cannot get
      along without an priori presuppostion giving his Logic. So we would have
      a contradiction. But here it decides whether one has understand Hegel's
      approach or not. Because saying this you fall directly into the position
      of the particular scientist with his a priori assumptions about
      arbitrarily chosen sections of reality and arbitrarily chosen categories
      for handling these sections of reality whereas Hegel has shown and
      proved the inner reason in reality and its development and do not need
      to bring reason from outside to a content having no idea if this content
      really is rational according to the chosen categories.

      On the other side, when Hegel says that "we have to proceed
      historically, empirically", then we have to ask what this means for him.
      It means that his philosophy depends on the result of the particular
      sciences of his time and before. He has to absorb all these results and
      make it an in itsef. Then he can give the phenomenal world its own right
      and has not to make it rational where no rationality or only an apparent
      rationality can be found.

      Message 93 of 93 , Sep 16, 2010
        Hi Beat,

        I will try to keep this brief.

        1. That you believe a profound philosophy should be obscure is
        interesting. Beyond that I don’t know what to say.

        2. Beiser’s quote does not give the reason for why Hegel writes as he
        does. Is it because Hegel is a poor writer or is it because he is a precise
        writer?

        3. The indirection of Hegel’s philosophy is due to the fact that the
        truth is exhibited inadvertently in the activity of thinking rather than in
        the thought before thought.

        4. The two ways of reading the text is a constant. A simple example:
        self-consciousness can refer either to self-awareness or to thought that
        returns out of otherness. The first reading is naïve while the second
        requires appreciation of what is speculative. You can provide dual meanings
        for pretty much every term used by Hegel. So, a concept can be abstract or
        concrete depending upon one’s way of reading or point of view.

        5. The task of interpretation is to get the reader to challenge his
        preconceptions that block his access to speculative thought. It is not to
        allow him to remain satisfied with these preconceptions so that he can use
        them to evaluate what Hegel has to say. This is the turning of the soul that
        Kang has brought up with respect to Plato which I also believe is true of
        Hegel.

        6. You can slot skepticism if you like within the Phenomenology. But
        it is clear from the Introduction that the skeptical critique of knowing
        motivates what Hegel has to say when he speaks about the method of inquiry.
        This is yet another place where Hegel can be read naively as being in fear
        of the skeptic or speculatively as providing an implicit alternative –
        absolute knowing – to what the skeptic has to say.

        7. Representation ultimately is a mode of thinking enfolded within the
        absolute. It is not merely a heuristic even if it is at time used this way.
        It is an essential moment of speculative thinking.

        8. The dialectic is the point in an Hegelian account where there can
        be two possible readings: the negative skeptical or the positive
        speculative. The naïve reader finds the first reading more natural and does
        not know what to make of the second reading. As a result, much Hegelian
        scholarship involves the effort of avoiding the speculative altogether.

        9. As for god thinking unrestrictedly in pure thought, that is obscure
        but alas not very profound.

        Regards, Alan