Re: [hegel] the identity of the theoretical and the practical in the Absolute

    Message 1 of 93 , Sep 3, 2010
      Bruce Merrill writes:

      > Hi Robert,
      >
      > Thanks for your salutation and I hope things are well for you.
      >
      > I'll look at Quality, as you suggest.
      >
      > My interest here lies not so much in an ontological notion of
      > goodness, following Plato (or Aristotle, as Kang suggests) but in
      > approaching the absolute via this mirroring of the theoretical and the
      > practical-- wherein the theoretical also discloses its ideality.
      >
      > There are various approaches to the absolute (in its different
      > aspects) at the conclusions to a number Hegel's writings, but only in
      > the larger Logic (as far as I can determine) do we have this parallel
      > development of the idea of the true, and then the idea of the good. I
      > don't find this in the En Logic, for instance. Rather, in the
      > "one-sided" (joke!) manner that you note, there is the transition from
      > "the truth of the good" to the absolute, and the absolute is then
      > identified as the unity of the theoretical and the practical in the
      > #236 Zu, but there is no prior separate consideration of truth /the
      > theoretical (and its ideality) that I can pick out.

      Dear Bruce,

      Fine to hear from you again.

      I do not understand your mentioned difference between the Larger and the
      Enc Logic. In both Logics the basic concept of the idea is life, the
      immediate unity of cognition and volition. The idea is only in itself.
      Then the necessary further development of the concept brings a
      separation of the ideal side (cognition) from the practical side
      (immediate life), that is, the idea only for itself. This implies a
      separation of cognition and volition and therefore a sublation of the
      immediate life. In the absolute idea, now, the two come together again
      as an identity of the activity of the concept and life where the concept
      is neither merely outside nor merely inside - the absolute idea or the
      idea in and for itself. So, the necessary separation (dualism) is
      overcome in a new immediacy which includes now the comprehensive
      mediation of the two sides of life. This is deeply Aristotelian. You can
      find the absolute idea in a man of reason who in his activity can unite
      the universal and the particular beyond principles, or, in a work of
      art, or, in religious contemplation, or, in Hegel's philosophy of the
      movement of the concept.

      Regards,
      Beat

      Message 93 of 93 , Sep 16, 2010
        Hi Beat,

        I will try to keep this brief.

        1. That you believe a profound philosophy should be obscure is
        interesting. Beyond that I don’t know what to say.

        2. Beiser’s quote does not give the reason for why Hegel writes as he
        does. Is it because Hegel is a poor writer or is it because he is a precise
        writer?

        3. The indirection of Hegel’s philosophy is due to the fact that the
        truth is exhibited inadvertently in the activity of thinking rather than in
        the thought before thought.

        4. The two ways of reading the text is a constant. A simple example:
        self-consciousness can refer either to self-awareness or to thought that
        returns out of otherness. The first reading is naïve while the second
        requires appreciation of what is speculative. You can provide dual meanings
        for pretty much every term used by Hegel. So, a concept can be abstract or
        concrete depending upon one’s way of reading or point of view.

        5. The task of interpretation is to get the reader to challenge his
        preconceptions that block his access to speculative thought. It is not to
        allow him to remain satisfied with these preconceptions so that he can use
        them to evaluate what Hegel has to say. This is the turning of the soul that
        Kang has brought up with respect to Plato which I also believe is true of
        Hegel.

        6. You can slot skepticism if you like within the Phenomenology. But
        it is clear from the Introduction that the skeptical critique of knowing
        motivates what Hegel has to say when he speaks about the method of inquiry.
        This is yet another place where Hegel can be read naively as being in fear
        of the skeptic or speculatively as providing an implicit alternative –
        absolute knowing – to what the skeptic has to say.

        7. Representation ultimately is a mode of thinking enfolded within the
        absolute. It is not merely a heuristic even if it is at time used this way.
        It is an essential moment of speculative thinking.

        8. The dialectic is the point in an Hegelian account where there can
        be two possible readings: the negative skeptical or the positive
        speculative. The naïve reader finds the first reading more natural and does
        not know what to make of the second reading. As a result, much Hegelian
        scholarship involves the effort of avoiding the speculative altogether.

        9. As for god thinking unrestrictedly in pure thought, that is obscure
        but alas not very profound.

        Regards, Alan