AW: Re: [hegel] Bernstein on Honneth on Hegel

  • greuterb@bluewin.ch
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2010
      ----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht----
      Von: bob@...
      Datum: 16.06.2010 16:38
      An: <hegel@yahoogroups.com>

      Betreff: Re: [hegel] Bernstein on Honneth on Hegel

      Dear all,

      I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has read
      Honneth's short
      book. I have read only some of his earlier work, on "recognition."
      That work and this review make
      me skeptical. Honneth assumes always
      that "our" standards of rationality are "post-metaphysical," and
      infers from
      this that "we" can't find anything useful or necessary for
      ethics and politics in Hegel's Logic. I believe I have
      shown in my own
      book (Hegel's Philosophy of Reality, Freedom, and God [2005]) that
      this isn't true. Above all, the
      Logic contains Hegel's refutation of
      social atomism or egoism--a refutation that's surely a prime requisite
      for
      social and political philosophy, and one that (in my opinion) no
      other modern philosopher has provided.

      Hegel
      himself warns that to define oneself by what one rejects--such
      as, in this case, "metaphysics"--is to fail to be
      free. But most of us
      moderns are so cock-sure in our rejection of what went "before"
      modernity, or so sheep-like in
      our conformity to modernity, or both,
      that we can't hear this warning. Generations of "philosophers" come
      and go
      who hold Hegel and the Greeks and medievals, not to mention non-
      western philosophy, at arm's length and never realize
      what they're
      missing. I speak from experience: I was one of these "moderns" myself
      for many years, and my
      liberation from this sort of "modernity" was
      and is one of the great gifts of my life.

      Note that what I'm
      recommending is not to reject modernity in favor of
      pre-modern thinking. That would hardly be Hegelian. Rather, it's
      find the truth that both share. There's a task worthy of a philosopher.

      Best, Bob W.

      Dear Bob,

      I think Axel
      Honneth is a critical Hegelian. He tries to include more reality and social analysis into the Critical Theory and the
      formal theory of justice of communicative interaction of the Frankfurt School with help of Hegel's theory of
      intersubjectivity and the struggle of social recognition. However, then as a good Kantian he puts the realm of morality
      and normativity above the reality of society and this he cannot find in Hegel's philosophy which sees reason in what is
      and therefore has to develop a critical ontology of individual freedom, not a rational philosophy of morality. So,
      Honneth has to argue against Hegel's metaphysical thinking and to emphasize the pathologies of individual freedom as
      most of the modern thinkers do.

      Regards,
      Beat

      On Jun 15, 2010, at 3:51 PM, <hugh.gillis@...> wrote:

      This is from Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews: J.M. Bernstein
      > reviews Honneth's The Pathologies of Individual
      Freedom: Hegel's
      > Social Theory
      >
      > Axel Honneth - The Pathologies of Individual Freedom: Hegel's Social
      > Theory
      - Reviewed by J. M. Bernstein, New School for Social Research