msg from the listowner: Andy's recent post at hegel list concerning mission statement draft

  • Kai Froeb
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2002
      Dear list(s),

      Hegel list recently saw a message from Andy Blunden, which was by
      an error posted to that list. So I ask you to not continue
      to discuss it on the hegel list, except only when it comes to
      Hegel interpretation questions it may lead to.

      Hegel list is concerned with discussing Hegel, HegelNet list is
      discussing HegelNet (see the footers of every mail to the lists).
      Both lists have different goals, a different member list, and
      different copyright policy, so they should not be mixed up.

      You can subscribe to any of these lists (as well as to more),
      by visiting http://hegel.net/res/ml.htm.

      At the HegelNet list, we have started a call for a hegel.Net
      "mission statement" some time ago. So far we have not got any
      officla submission. What has happend is that some people have asked
      for a confidential review among the group of contributors for
      prelimnery drafts of such statements they wrote.

      For example, I wrote myself such a draft which I presented to
      all active contributors of hegel.Net web site as well as to our
      major cooperators (like Andy), with the note "confidential" in the
      topic line as well as in the text.

      As this is work in progress and people do share their thoughts among
      few selected people in that process just because they *do not* want
      to discuss it in public, as they think it is not in a mature state,
      but in an atmosphere of trust, it should be treated confidential.

      The result of this first review will be published for discussion on
      the HegelNet list probably in one or two week (but everyone is
      free to post something on the HegelNet list earlier then this, there
      is no *rule* that says you need to let HegelNet contributors review
      your statements before).

      When the statement(s) are published as drafts at hegelNet mailing list
      for "official" discussion and review, we have all the possibility to
      go into details.

      At the moment, such a discussion is not fruitfull without the
      publication of the drafts. I tend to think that the remarks of Andy
      and Janko may also lead to a very wrong impression on these
      drafts, which is unfair as we can not correct that impression at the
      moment. Also, as the authors of the draft where asking for an internal
      review first, they should be handled as what they are, a first attempt
      which is subject to corrections after this first internal review.

      As this message concerns HegelNet proceedings, pls. write your answers,
      in case you need to comment, to the HegelNet mailing list only.

      Kai