Re: define the words "God" and "exist"

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
      --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com, "john" <jgbardis@...> wrote:

      > --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com, greuterb <greuterb@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "well, ...", then tell me where I can find God's 'spectrum of
      meanings'
      > > in the Doctrine of Essence or elsewhere in the Logic!?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Beat Greuter
      >

      > Just to begin with, Hegel deals with the ontological argument for the
      existence of God at some length and in a number of places in the SL.

      The only question here is whether there is a category or concept 'God'
      in Hegel's Logic or not. If not, we cannot follow its spectrum of
      meaning from where it comes and where it goes and each use and mention
      of God in the SL is metaphorically speaking and/or has a historical
      reference, both not thought and not appropriate as an ontological
      argument for the existence of God outside of the conceptual path of the SL.

      > But if you are interested in what the word "God" means to Hegel, then
      you would, perhaps, find his lectures on the philosophy of religion of
      interest, where he goes into this matter at much length.

      In the Philosophy of Religion Hegel shows the religious consciousness
      looking for the absolute - God. The logical development of the 'meaning'
      of the absolute is in accordance with the logical development of the
      religious consciousness involved mediating the absolute (as in then
      PhdG). There is no meaning for Hegel as an external observer having a
      truth or object independent from the religious consciousness or another
      transcendental meaning.

    • john
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
        --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com, greuterb <greuterb@...> wrote:

        > --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com, "john" <jgbardis@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In hegel@yahoogroups.com, greuterb <greuterb@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > "well, ...", then tell me where I can find God's 'spectrum of
        > meanings'
        > > > in the Doctrine of Essence or elsewhere in the Logic!?
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > > Beat Greuter
        > >

        > > Just to begin with, Hegel deals with the ontological argument for the
        > existence of God at some length and in a number of places in the SL.
        >
        > The only question here is whether there is a category or concept 'God'
        > in Hegel's Logic or not. If not, we cannot follow its spectrum of
        > meaning from where it comes and where it goes and each use and mention
        > of God in the SL is metaphorically speaking and/or has a historical
        > reference, both not thought and not appropriate as an ontological
        > argument for the existence of God outside of the conceptual path of the SL.
        >

        > > But if you are interested in what the word "God" means to Hegel, then
        > you would, perhaps, find his lectures on the philosophy of religion of
        > interest, where he goes into this matter at much length.
        >
        > In the Philosophy of Religion Hegel shows the religious consciousness
        > looking for the absolute - God. The logical development of the 'meaning'
        > of the absolute is in accordance with the logical development of the
        > religious consciousness involved mediating the absolute (as in then
        > PhdG). There is no meaning for Hegel as an external observer having a
        > truth or object independent from the religious consciousness or another
        > transcendental meaning.

        To get back to the point that you raised--you asked what one might answer when asked--Does God exist? You seemed to think that there were only two possible answers--yes or no. But what do you mean by "exists"? The Logic develops this concept at great length from its first category all the way through the Doctrine of Essence. And what does the word "God" mean, and in this context, what does Hegel mean by the word? To gain insight into what Hegel means by the word "God" by an indepth study of the logic would be very difficult. The place that Hegel deals in particular with what he means by this word is in his lectures on the philosophy of religion. The first volume, especially, deals with the Concept of religion. But all this is very much beyond us. I suppose you were right originally when you suggested that these matters should only be dealt with in secret. If this subject interests you, though, I sugggest you take it up with Paul T.

        JOhn